Princess Allura

Melanie's POV

You know how in all those movies people watch about knights and warriors, the battles always looks so easy.  Well it's not.  Training is way harder than it looks and my body wasn't made for this sort of thing.  I don't want to call myself weak or anything, but man Earth teaches you nothing about discipline or self defense.

Everyone else seemed to be doing so well in their training.  Lily was a natural and she was already excelling at his ancient art.  Hailey was doing pretty good with her crazy teacher and all but I wasn't imporving at all. 

I guess I shouldn't be so hard on myself.  I mean it's only the first day but I could tell that I'm not cut out to be a warrior.  It breaks my heart to say that I'm failing Allura and I don't want to disappoint her but I just can't do it.  Alvar keeps trying to train me but there's only so much he can do on his end to make me into a warrior.

After the long training session, Alvar agreed to let me stop.  I brought the sword over to the weapons rack absolutely defeated.  Alvar gently touched my shoulder.  "Can I speak with you?" Alvar asks and I nod numbly. He brings me over to a bench where we sit down.

 "I don't think you're cut out to be a warrior." He says and my worst fears are realized.  Even my teacher has given up on me.  What happens now?  Will I be sent back to Earth while all of my friends stay here and become queens and warriors.  "However, I have a better job for you.  I noticed that you're good at solving problems and finding the right way to solve a conflict.  So, I want you to be an ambassador for the crown instead."

"I would be honored but why would you give me this chance?" I ask as I realize that this complete stranger has seen something in me that I hadn't even realized myself.

"You're a sweet and caring girl and being a warrior would destroy that.  I've seen how battle hardens a warrior's soul and I know that you wouldn't have the stomach to kill someone" He explains and I nod.  I don't believe in killing people so I guess it makes sense. "Anyways, I think Lily will make up for you not being here.  So don't worry about your friends." He assures me.

"Thanks Alvar.  THis means a lot to me." I say and he smiles.

"You'll leave tomorrow for the diplomatic school in the morning.  One of the other kingdom's ambassadors is here on a visit so he'll take you there."

"Where is the school?" I ask as I watch Hailey tiredly collapse on the ground while Aslan approaches us.

"A ten day journey to the northeast." Aslan says as she leans against the tree next to us. "Don't worry, you'll only be gone for a couple of years and we'll bring you back for the coronation."  My heart aches.  I'm leaving my friends because I can't fight.

"It's a great honor Melanie." Alvar says as he studies my face.  I guess so but it will be years before I can see my friends again.

"You will love it there.  You'll get to mingle with some of the greatest minds in our realm."  Aslan assures me.  I seriously thought that Aslan was a cold warrior but she just proved that she does have a kind heart.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"You look so beautiful." Houston says into my hair.  I just finished my lesson with the elders, when Houston came looking for me.  I allowed him to pull me lovingly into his arms where I slowly relaxed.  After a few seconds of silence, Houston finally speaks again. "My parents want us to get married soon but I knew I should probably ask you first." He studies my face as I look away.

"What is the rush?" I turn to face him. I just found out we are promised to each other and now he's talking about marriage.  Can't he see that I have a lot on my plate right now?  "I have a lot of responsibilities here and I would rather worry about my duties here before I marry you." I say and he smiles at me.  "What?" I demand as he leans down and silences me with a passionate kiss.  I force myself not to pull away.  My body finally agrees to relax in his arms that is until I hear people giggling.  We pull away and see Alvar and Aslan standing there watching us.

"We've come to take the princess to her training." Alvar says and I blush.  Houston squeezes my hand gently as I start to pull away.  He leans in for one more quick kiss before he lets me walk away.

"Until I see you again." He whispers and I blush.  I walk over to the two warriors and they both seem interested by me.  "So what kind of training am I going to next?" I found no use in asking where I was going next since I can't keep track of this mansion so I just let them lead me where ever they want to go next.

We stop outside of the dressing room."The maids will know." Alvar gently nudges me inside and I obey.  Hope is pulling out a tunic and pants.

"Hello again, Hope." I say as I approach.  She dips into a curtsey and I shake my head.  How long is it going to take me to tell people not to curtsey or bow when I come into a room?  "I don't like it when my friends do that." I tell her and she smiles.  "What am I wearing now?"

"Well it's a training uniform that most of the warrior mages wear.  Your's is made with an enchanted fabric that is fireproof and no sword can penetrate it."  She helps me out of my dress and then I get into the outfit.  It fits just right and I start to wonder if the fabric is enchanted to do that also.

"Thank you for helping me." I tell her as she braids my hair into a side braid.  She nods as she focuses on her work.

"No need to thank me, your highness." She says as she finishes.  I turn around and hug her.  It catches her completely off guard but then she slowly melts in my embrace.

"You don't need to call me your highness.  I'm your friend, Hope.  If you ever need anything, just come to me." I tell her as I walk towards the door.  Alvar and Aslan approve of the outfit as we head back towards a new part of the house.

"Do you know how to fight with a sword?" Alvar asks and  I shake my head.  "Use a bow?"  Again I don't.  "Ride a horse?"  Thankfully, I got to go to horse camp a couple of summers in a row so I can ride pretty well.

"That I do know how to do." I tell him and he lets out a sigh of relief.

"At least we have something to work with." He laughs and I smile.  "Prince Houston seems to be in love with you." He says after a few minutes of walking.  That isn't something I really want to discuss but I can't avoid the topic forever.

"It would only make sense if we were." I reply.  "Why did Houston and Dustin come to earth, and I don't want the lie that everyone keeps telling me." I ask as we come exit the house and emerge into outside.  However, the question goes unanswered when I take in the view.  There's a couple of people practicing magic and sword fighting but they all stop when they see me.  Everyone bows before I can stop them and then they get back to work.  "It's so weird seeing people do that." I say mostly to myself.

"If you want answers about why he came to earth, you'll have to defeat me." I guess he is going to tell me the answer or at least make me work for one.  Alvar hands leads me to a table with different swords on it.   "Choose the one that speaks to you." I look at him confused but he doesn't explain.

All the swords are beautiful.  But some just didn't appeal to me, however when my eyes passed over a medium sized sword with a weird jem in the hilt, I knew it was the one. The warriors watch me as I pick up the sword.  The sword started glowing a red color and then quickly fades.

"You've chosen well, Princess Allura." Rowan's voice says from behind me.  I turn around and he studies me.  "Do you know what people call you?" He asks and I shake my head.  "You're our phoenix, and the sword that choose you is called Bringer of ashes." He says.

"Why is it called that?" I ask as I try to add the nickname Phoenix to the long list of names that people are calling me.

"Because that sword belonged to a king long ago.  He died after a dragon set his castle a flame and people have claimed that the sword was cursed to set all of its users a flame."  Rowan says.

"And a phoenix only emerges from the ashes?" I ask and he nods.

"I understand now." I say as I study the sword.  "Ok well I understand the sword, everything else still doesn't make sense."

"Come to me after your training and I'll tell you everything you need to know." He bows before leaving and I look at my two warriors.  I guess I should get to my training then.

"Let's get to practice." Aslan says and we go out onto the field.