Age: A Tricky Subject

Alvar's POV

Being Allura's guard has its perks.  She's a beautiful princess that exhibits compassion, loyalty, and trust pretty frequently, and out of all the princesses I've served in my years of life, she is by far my favorite.  I just hope they find a way to prolong her life.  Unlike the people from Relaine, Allura is half human and will only live to be around a 150 in human years, whereas we live to be 2000 years old if not older here on Relaine.  It's a shame that her life will be so short.

Watching her dance with her prince makes me wish that I hadn't given up my crown while I was a prince.  She could have been my princess but instead Houston will be marrying her.  He'll take care of her but the idea that the Lisstar court will have their hands on her makes me angry.  The Lisstarians always destroy anything pure they get their hands on and I highly doubt Allura won't be changed at the court.

"What are you thinking of?" Aslan asks as she comes over.  Just like my sister to know what's wrong.  "And don't lie to me Alvar." She threatens.

"What could have happened if I didn't give up my crown." I reply and she follows my gaze and looks at Allura.  I see her shake her head before she speaks again.

"You wouldn't have met me if you didn't.  Anyways would you have given up everything you have ever learned just to maybe marry a princess.  If it wasn't for you giving up your crown, you wouldn't have met me."  Aslan tells me and I nod.  "I may not come from royal blood but I will always be your sister Alvar and I wouldn't want you to trade a princess for me."

"I know Aslan, at least I met Allura before Lisstar got ahold of her."  We both know how ruthless the Lisstar court can be.  "How much longer until the King steps down?"  We're all hoping that he just dies of unnatural causes and the kingdoms enslaved under his rule would get freedom.

"Far too long." Aslan notices Allura laughing with Houston and she frowns.  "If we could only get her to one of the other kingdoms.  Relaine is far too powerful to join with Lisstar and one of the other kingdoms off of this island could use a political alliance." I know which kingdoms she was suggesting and mine was definitely on that list.

"But she thinks she's in love with him."  I don't know what we are supposed to think.  My brother offered me back my crown a few months ago and I'm surprised I didn't take it.  Now I know I should try to get my crown back.  "I am going to go write my brother."  I turn and leave the ballroom but if I had turned around I would have seen the sad look Allura gave me.

~*~*~*~*~*~

I don't know why Alvar left but it made my heart ache to see him go.  I don't know why I am feeling like this but I guess it's the way he treats me.  It's different than how Houston treats me and it's kind of nice.  I'm Alvar's princess but he treats me like a little sister at the same time.  Houston loves me but is love the only thing I want in life.  I don't know how long the love would last.

"What is the matter?" Houston asks as the music ends.  I realize I was frowning and I erase the frown from my face.  But it's too late, Houston already saw it and he won't let it go until I tell him the truth.  The music starts again.

"Nothing." I say with a small smile.  "Just worried about leaving you." I lie and he twirls me around again.  I'm not that good of a liar but thankfully Houston doesn't say anything.

"We will only be apart for a few months, my love." Houston seems to be in love with me but do I want to spend the rest of my years with him.  He might just be using me to get my crown and I don't want to be in love with someone who is using me.

"How old are you really?" I ask as the music ends.  Houston clenches his jaw before he relaxes and smiles down on me.

"Why would you think I was lying?" He asks and I shrug but I don't him avoid it.  After a few minutes, he begrudgingly gives me an answer.  "250 years old in human years." He says and I step back.  I had to pull my arms away from him but Houston catches my hands.  "Why does age matter?"  It makes a huge difference.  I'm only sixteen and he's 250 in human years.  He didn't even say how old he is in Relaine.   "Age is just a number, Allura."

"I just thought you were three of four years older not 234 years." I say and he looks frustrated.  Why would he keep this from me?  I would eventaully find out one of these days.

"Are you really that upset by a stupid number?" He demands but I don't answer.  I pull my hands away and I cross them over my chest.  I hang my head refusing to look at him.  Houston calls to Aslan and she approaches cautiously.  "Take the princess to her room." He demands and I willingly follow Aslan.  She doesn't say anything until we are out of hearing range from the ballroom.

"What happened?" She asks.  I look over at her as tears threaten to spill from my eyes.

"How old is Houston in Relaine years?" I ask and she grimaces.  "What?"  My voice portrays just how worried I am and Aslan seems to pity me but she eventually speaks.

"2500 in Relaine but in his own home he is 7,500."  Aslan can tell that I am confused.  "In this realm, each group of peoples is descendant from different magical families.  Relaine is founded from Merlin's bloodline which is a good magic.  We age ten years for every human year.  However, Lisstar is founded on dark magic and they age 30 years for every human year.  We do not physically age like humans do and wisdom and experience change our appearances."  Aslan explains.

"So I would be 160 here on Relaine but 800 in Lisstar?" I ask and she nods.

"However, finding your age is even more complex because of your magical properties.  Mages age 50 years for every human one.  But you age 35 years for every human one."

"I'm confused." I say and she laughs.

"A human once told me about a book about a world called Narnia." Aslan says.

"You're name is in that book." I tell her and she nods.

"They aged very quickly in Narnia but when they came back to their own world they didn't age.  Correct?"I nod.  "It's like that here.  You will age based on where you are from but depending how long you stay here, you might not age that much on Earth."

"I'm still confused." I say.  The numbers aren't adding up and I feel more confused than before.

"Just don't worry about age while you are here.  It won't be that important.  We don't veiw age the same way as humans do."  She says as get into the dressing room.  "Raven can you grab a training outfit for Allura and have something ready when we come in for dinner." Raven takes me back and gets me changed.