The Princess Games

Clarissa Reina woke up with the sun. She tied a blue bandana over her long black hair and donned the same dress she'd worn yesterday, the day before that, the day before that, and the day before that. It was stained with dirt, even though she'd washed it just last night. She slipped her dirty, worn shoes on and hurried outside to collect the eggs, feed the chickens, and milk the cow.

There was a chill in the air, and she sighed, knowing harvesting season was almost here. That meant she would be helping her father in the fields again, the thing she detested most of all. 

Clarissa brought the basket of eggs and the pail of milk inside, then washed her hands and kissed her mother on the head on the way to wake up her little brother.

She felt a deep sense of sadness when she looked at him in his clothes that were too small and the permanent smudge of dirt on his nose. At fourteen, he was constantly growing. Henry was the sweetest person she had ever known, and she wished so much more for him than this peasant's life. He deserved all the riches in the world.

She brushed his hair back and planted a kiss on his forehead, her maternal feelings for him kicking in. He rolled over in his sleep and she shook him gently.

"Henry, it's time for breakfast."

He jumped up, spinning to face her.

"Why didn't you wake me up to take care of the milk and eggs?" he demanded.

He hated to see his sister working so hard, but Clarissa couldn't bear to let him take the extra work from her.

"I can take care of it. It's no bother. I like to let you sleep in."

He shook his head. "You spoil me."

She smiled sadly. "I wish I could spoil you."

"I wouldn't want it any other way. What's for breakfast?"

They made their way to the kitchen, her arm resting on his shoulders.

Her stomach ached from hunger, but she looked at her skinny brother and told her mother she wasn't hungry, knowing Henry would get her portion.

Her mother gave her a knowing look, but sent her to pick herbs from the garden.

Clarissa grabbed a basket and headed outside, reciting all of the poetry she knew in her head to distract her from her hunger.

'She walks in beauty...' she began, knowing it would be a long morning.

She'd filled the basket halfway when she heard a shout and rapidly galloping hooves.

She jumped back from the dirt road as a huge, healthy, strong, black horse skidded to a stop just centimeters from where she'd been standing. It looked regal and its saddle was branded with the royal crest. It reared back on two legs, neighing at her. She dropped the basket and put her hand on its chest, making soothing noises. It nudged her and trotted off.

She stood there, stupefied at the exchange, when it stopped and neighed again. 

"What, do you want me to follow you?" she giggled at the absurdity it.

It came back and nudged her again.

She sobered up and frowned. "You really want me to follow you..." she murmured, walking quickly behind it when it trotted off again.

Clarissa was utterly confused. Why was a royal horse in her garden, and why was she following it? The whole situation was completely bizzare.

The horse stopped suddenly, and she ran into its back end. It glared at her. She held up her hands in apology, but gasped and clapped them over her mouth when she saw what it had led her to.