Chapter 12

The day before I left came sooner than either of us would have liked. We dreaded the thought of tomorrow and hoped that Portman would let us just stay in our room. However, that demon knows no sadistic bounds and made us go to the visiting room. We trudged down the halls, hand in hand, trying our best not to think about what, better yet who, was waiting for us.

As soon as we walked in we heard a gasp from the other side of the room. At the same table that we met Mikey at, sat my parents, both looking thoroughly horrified. I followed their gazes down to our linked hands and groaned.

"You guys know that I'm gay, I don't know why this is so surprising to you." I rolled my eyes.

"I didn't think you were serious!" My mom exclaimed.

"Well what the fuck did you think I was? Why the hell would I lie to you about something so important to me as my sexuality?" I snapped, sitting across from my mother, which placed Gerard across from my father.

"Whatever, I guess it's a good thing that you're moving then." My father stated, clasping his hands together on the table.

"Why the fuck are you guys here?" I clenched my jaw, using every ounce of self control to not punch my parents in the throat.

"We're here to pick up your things so that they will already be at the hospital when you leave tomorrow." My mother said.

"So that I feel at home when I arrive?" I asked sarcastically.

"So that it's easier on Dr. Portman." My father corrected.

"Glad you guys are thinking of me," I stood up, "So if that's all then I think we'll just go." I grabbed Gerard's hand and was about to pull him up when my mom spoke.

"We never said we were done, did we?"

"I don't particularly care, do I?" I retorted.

"Look, Frankie-"

"Don't. Don't you dare call me that." I closed my eyes and clenched my jaw, tightening my grip on Gerard's hand.

"I can call you whatever I want, I created you!" My dad whisper-yelled.

"Actually, no, because even though you created me, I am my own person with my own comfort levels and you calling me 'Frankie' really crosses that line so if you would please refrain from calling me that, that would be lovely, thanks."

"Sir, Ma'am, Frank is getting really sassy and angry, so I would advise you to just back off a little." Gerard spoke for the first time since we got here. I was actually quite surprised, seeing that Gerard is a very shy person when it comes to being around new people. Especially people like my parents.

"And why should I listen to anything you say, young man?" My mother asked, looking very offended.

"Because I am your amazing son's boyfriend and I have been there for him probably more than three times the amount that you have, so if I were you, I would take my advice, seeing as I actually have taken the time to get to know Frank and listen to him rather than just sign him up to the nearest hospital." Gerard replied, pulling me towards the door.

"We're going to be gathering up all of your stuff during the next hour, so just be prepared to come back to a near empty room after group therapy." My father yelled after us.

We didn't look back.

***

Sure enough, when we went back to the room after group therapy, my half was practically barren, save for a change of clothes and pajamas.