Drunken State

Candice's POV~

I woke up by a shuffling noise. Sitting up in my bed I glanced at the bedside clock. The taunting red numbers of the digital clock blinked back at me.

2:46 am.

I immediately distinguished the shuffling noise that had to have awakened me as climbing footsteps. Which then transformed into a loud noise which one could easily assume was someone falling down the stairs. There was a string of curse words and I heard my wife grunt in pain.

My assumptions were right.

Huffing in annoyance I climbed off the bed. Not at all pleased by having to step out of the comfort of my room at such an hour.

I rolled my eyes when I saw my idiotic wife sprawled on the floor.

Of course, drunk as per usual...

With a deep sigh more out of fatigue rather than anger, I proceeded to help her up. Her tall figure was not doing my small frame any favors. She was extremely heavy and I had trouble with helping her sit up.

"Come on Nancy. Get your ass up." I groaned.

"You're helping...me." She slurred.

I rolled my eyes in exasperation. All I wanted to do was fall back on the bed and get a few more hours of rest before heading out to work. The sooner Nancy got into bed, the sooner I'd be able to get some much-needed sleep without further interruptions.

"Yes, now get up. You're too heavy for this."

With my help, she managed to get on her feet. She wobbled and stumbled all over the place. Why did she have to get wasted every single night? Especially on a weekday! I couldn't understand the joy she got out of it.

At first, Nancy's drinking was moderate. She would enjoy a glass of whiskey or wine after dinner. She claimed that a glass of alcohol helped clear her mind and relieve her work-related stress.

Then a harmless glass of alcohol developed into a destructive half bottle.

Eventually, it got out of control. Now she couldn't go a day without getting wasted and smoking an unrealistic amount of cigarettes a day. We've had so many discussions over the matter but nothing seems to get through to her head. All she ever wants is alcohol.

To make matters worse, her job was now balancing over a thin line.

If I were Nancy's boss I would have fired her already. I wouldn't tolerate a hungover, sleepy, and cranky employee on my grounds. But then again I wasn't Nancy's boss. Who--should I mention--had a huge crush on my wife. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason Nancy still had a job. She probably sweet-talked her boss every morning and pulled off her hungover state.

It amazed me how Nancy still managed to get up at 6 AM and get ready for work despite being so deprived of sleep. All of her unhealthy habits were beginning to toll an effect on her. There were dark circles around her eyes, bags under them as well and her face resembled that of a troll.

Okay, I might have exaggerated a bit.

She didn't really resemble a troll. Honestly, Nancy was very attractive. Standing at a tall 5'9 with a now pale complexion and short blonde hair that was usually tugged back into a messy bun. Her once strikingly piercing and intense eyes were now hollow--lacking any emotion.

When Nancy and I first met I was wooed off my feet by this loud, bubbly, and cheerful blonde. Someone that was so carefree and considerate that you couldn't help but gravitate towards her. I vividly remember the tingles I felt when she first gave me a wide genuine smile.