Chapter 18

The faint sound of snickers and giggles were present when Dick Grayson woke up

The faint sound of snickers and giggles were present when Dick Grayson woke up. He could hear whispers, the voices were definitely of his teammates. Wally's being the most prominent per usual. He didn't open his eyes, however. The sunglasses were crooked on his face and the disheveled hair of his sprung out in all sorts of directions.

"Shh! Let me get my Polaroid!"

"What the hell is a Polaroid?"

"Shut up, Wally!"

The groan from the bird was apparent, his voice was coated in annoyance. "Can you guys shut up? She's sleeping!" He whispered harshly. His chin rested on her head once again, arms wrapped around the ball of warmth he held. She was still silent in her resting place. Her comfort was found in the steady heartbeat Dick held.

"Sorry! Sorry! We were just all really curious!" Artemis teased. Dick's glare crossed over the many faces of his teammates. They were all still in pajamas and sleepwear. It was apparent it was early in the day still.

"So, care to share about your night alone?" Wally presses, waggling his eyebrows with a smug look that fueled Dick's annoyance with the speedster. He was embarrassed, but he was more concerned about waking the kitten in his arms. Her soft breathing that was similar to that of a purr, was confirmation she was still sleeping through Robin's interrogation.

"Just shut up and let her sleep!" He scolded them, as Artemis grabbed Wally by the ear. They all began to mutter apologies and shuffle out of earshot.

"I just wanna know! We all do. Come on, just admit there's something going on." Wally cries out, just as Artemis shuts the door behind them. More than likely dragging the whole team over to the girls' place.

"...Dick?"

His ears and cheeks became a red hue. His breath stifled. She was awake. He could feel her stretch in his arms as he stuttered out a response, "Yeah, Jade?"

She groaned as she twisted her spine and stretched her arms upward. Breathing out, she draped her limp arms around his neck. Yawning as she questioned him, "What time is it? We have school today. We gotta get up."

"Not today you don't. You're staying home." His response made Jade sit up abruptly. "What do you mean not today?"

He sat up, he could feel her body heat radiating off her. She was upset, visibly upset. "Have you taken a look at yourself? You're injured. Everyone agreed you're to stay home today." Was his response, and by his expression, there was no budging.

"What about you all? You're still going? Whose gonna watch out for y'all?" She threw question after question at him. He brought a finger to her lips, which silenced her. But not for long. "They will be fine. I agreed to watch you while everyone is away. Kaldur is more than capable as team leader to make sure everyone is fine. Relax."

Jade was unsure of this plan. Hell, she hated the idea of not being with the rest of her team when things could definitely go wrong. However, she had to trust her friends would be fine throughout the day. That's all she really could do. Besides, being with Richard Grayson all day long didn't seem so bad.