Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty (Xed)

I looked down to see that Newell had passed out.

I wasn't surprised. He'd been struggling to stay awake the whole way home. His eyes were closing, then would shoot back open, then slump closed again and it would seem he'd finally given up the fight and collapsed, his cheek against my bloodied arm. He looked completely at peace for once, and odd contrast to all the blood on him.

I felt terrible for soiling him with the blood of the monsters that had tried to hurt him, but I couldn't stop myself. I had never felt so angry before that I was calm. My blood felt like hot lava in my veins, my anger mounting the more I stared into the faces of the people who scared Newell.

Yes, fear.

It was an emotion I had never seen Newell show before. He was careful about how much he let sleep free, but it would seem that as of late, he was losing control on that grip. It didn't help that the final blast of fear that had boiled over was brought on by the fact that Drake was going to do the unthinkable.

He had touched Newell with his filthy, disgusting hands. He had him strapped in some kind of restraining jacket and had stripped him from the waist down. I knew for a fact that Newell was incredibly self-conscious of his body and being naked alone was enough to crush Newell's ego. It was even worse when Drake struggled to force him down so he could take him by force.

How dare he. He wasn't worthy of touching Newell. Looking at him, speaking to him, even thinking about him. Drake didn't deserve those privileges. No one did.

Newell was perfect. He was purity. He was beautiful. And no one had the right to touch him, to sully him like Drake had been thinking.

And that fueled my hatred enough to kill them and leave them to rot. I didn't want to eat them and their tainted blood. I could only hope that their souls were being tortured in the lowest level of Hell.

We arrived back at the manor late in the evening. We had originally meant to stay behind, but there was no way we could stay with the amount of people that were crawling around the city looking for the person who murdered two men at a children's hospital.

Claude and Kristophe got out and gathered our luggage to move it back into the house. Newell still didn't wake up, nor did I feel the need too, so I lifted him up into my arms to carry him. Misha got out of the car slowly, staring up at the Gothica Manor in awe.

"This place is huge." He whispered, shivering at the cold winter breeze that blew in. I only nodded in agreement before I followed him into the manor, making sure he wouldn't make a run for it. Upon entering, we were met with Vladimir and Alexander. Thankfully, Starling wasn't present. Alexander's eyes widened at the sight of Newell and I covered in blood.

"What the hell happened?" He asked in disbelief, covering his mouth with his hand. I frowned and looked at Claude, who scoffed and folded his arms over his chest.

"A couple of friends of theirs showed up to attack and Nemo took 'em out. No problem. They're fine." He answered, to which Alexander winced and Vladimir held a pokerface as he stared at me. I wasn't sure what was going on inside his head, but I had no doubt that he knew what was going on inside mine.

"Fine," Misha sputtered suddenly, gaining attention, "I was just yanked out of my life and now I'm thrown back into this hellish mess! I don't want to be here! I want to go home. Oh god, and I have to call my job and let them know what happened. Or, well, a watered down version of it. He's never gonna believe I was kidnapped by a midget vampire and his merman bodyguard. Even I'm having difficulties believing it."

"But you're a vampire too." Claude deadpanned. Misha glared at him.

"Yeah, but I'm a sane vampire," He snapped, then glanced at Alexander and Vladimir warily, "I'm not entangled in a vicious cycle of revenge schemes and assassinations." Alexander winced, but forced a smile anyway, trying to play his sweet, innocent card.