Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four (Xed)

"I can't believe this! That stupid idiot is going to get himself killed!"

I sat on the bed in silence with Starling sitting beside me, yawning sleepily and holding a pillow in his lap as we watched Newell pace in front of us, tugging his jacket on and pushing the hair back out of his face in frustration.

Newell was angrier than he was earlier and I made sure not to do anything to upset him further. I merely sat there and listened to him fume over the fact that Hunter had abandoned us for a suicide mission. Even as a merman, I knew well the name of Gothica, particularly Vladimir Gothica. I had seen him do things no other creature had ever done. Things that made me wonder if he was a demon rather than a vampire. Hunter was signing his own death contract by attacking him, no matter how good he was at hunting anything non-human.

Vladimir was so non-human, he made the rest of us look human. And he was about to make Hunter look like a pile of mangled meat that even I wouldn't touch. Newell knew that and that is why he worried. Why he was worried about Hunter, however, annoyed me. I personally didn't really care for Hunter. He was useful, that I'd admit, but he was too friendly with Newell. I didn't like it.

But Newell was concerned and I had a feeling that Newell was going to do something about it from the way he jerked his boots on and laced them up, then shot Starling and I a dirty glare.

"Don't just sit there like a couple of idiots, we're going after him now!" He barked. Starling whined, but I held a finger to my lips, warning him not to argue with Newell. Thankfully, he'd learned what that meant and obeyed as he got up. I helped him dress and packed up our things as Newell paced, pausing every so often by the window to peer out into the snowy night. I frowned at that, coming to stand beside Newell.

It only succeeded in spooking him, though, much to my disappointment. Did he really think I would kill him? How awful of a nightmare did he have that it made him like this?

"We don't have transportation," Newell muttered, folding his arms tightly over his chest and keeping his eyes on the snow outside, "And while we're close to the manor, we're not close enough to walk and not freeze to death." He meant steal a car, and there were plenty in the parking lot to steal. The problem was driving it. Newell was too short to reach the pedals, Starling was a child, and I had no idea how to drive a vehicle. I could barely walk, let alone drive one of those contraptions.

"This is the worst situation we've been in for a while. So much for our sneak attack on Vladimir." Newell grunted, rubbing at his temples when suddenly the room phone rang. Newell looked up and I stared at the device as it rang on and on. Newell and I shared confused looks before he approached it and picked it up.

"Hello?" He asked sternly. There was a pause and he blinked, looking up at me in disbelief before he nodded, more to himself than the woman.

"Yes, I know him... Thank you." He went quiet for a while, but held the phone to his ear. I frowned and came closer so I could hear the phone call. There was some crackling on the other line before a chillingly calm voice spoke.

"Hello, Newell." Vladimir Van Gothica greeted. Newell clenched the phone in his hand and gritted his teeth before swallowing hard.

"Vladimir," He returned stiffly, "I was just... coming to visit." Vladimir scoffed on the other line.

"Visit? Well, that's nice to know. It gives me some time to get rid of the pests in my house."

"Mice?"

"No, just a big fat rat."

"I hate rats."

"Me too," Vladimir agreed, then there was a long pause before he continued, "Well, I'm assuming you don't have a ride the rest of the way here, so allow me to send Kristophe to fetch you and bring you here. I'm sure you don't have a problem with that."