Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen (Newell)

Starling was a very odd dragon.

Drake didn't release Starling after Hunter had captured him, deciding it would be safest if Starling remained with them. Of course, Starling didn't seem to like that very much because he kicked and screamed when Hunter heaved him up over his shoulder again and carried him into the cabin.

Hunter dropped Starling on the sofa in the living room where Starling writhed and thrashed, snarling and snapping his teeth at everyone as we stood on the other side of the room from him, watching him warily.

"Tell me again why we're keeping him." Hunter deadpanned. Drake frowned as he took a raw slab of meat out of the freezer and placed it on a plate to warm it up for Starling.

"He may be a dragon, but I'm not about to let a child out there along with a killer on the loose." He replied sternly. Hunter made a face at that while I folded my arms over my chest, watching Starling wear himself out with all his squirming and fussing.

"The killer is most likely one of your own people. You're just too stubborn to admit it." I told him. Drake stiffened, then shot me a warning glare.

"My people don't kill each other." He answered coldly. Hunter made a rude noise.

"Oh please. Werewolves, vampires, humans, dragons. Doesn't matter what species you are, we're always gonna kill each other. Jealousy, revenge, power. Doesn't even matter if you're family or not. You'll do anything if you have enough motivation." He said. Xed gave him an odd look and Drake glared.

"We're a pack. We'd do anything for each other." He responded icily. Hunter cast him a disinterested stare.

"You're not special. Everyone is the same." He returned calmly. Drake looked like he wanted to throttle him, but we had no time for this argument. The sooner we got out of this village the better and we'd only be able to leave after we solved this silly murder.

"Why would someone want to kill Tony?" I asked. Drake frowned, glancing at Vini, who remained silent as he sat at the dining table, gazing sadly at his brother's necklace. Drake turned to me again, leaning against the fridge.

"I don't know," He said honestly, "Tony was a good guy. He never hurt anyone. He followed orders and he worked hard. He... He took care of everyone." That didn't tell me much, but I could tell he was holding back with Vini in the room. I made a mental note to ask him more later. In the mean time, it was time for Starling to eat and he would need both hands. I had Xed lock the doors and stand behind Starling, who we managed to get sitting into a dining chair at the table.

Drake put the plate of warm steak in front of Starling, who stopped to stare at the food. He sniffed at it, then cocked his head. He poked it with his tongue, made a face, then looked up at Hunter, who took out his pocketknife. Starling squeaked at the sight of it and started to get up, but Xed caught him by the shoulders and held him in his seat. Hunter grabbed Starling's hands and cut the rope holding his wrists together, then tucked the knife away again.

Starling rubbed his wrists, giving Hunter a wary stare before he turned to the steak. Without hesitation, he started to devour the entire thick, only chewing a couple times before swallowing huge gulps. He reminded me of a dog the way he ate.

"Does anyone know what happened to his parents?" I asked after a while as Drake handed me a glass of blood. I nodded my thanks and took a drink.

"No," Drake admitted grimly, "He just showed up one day. We caught him trying to eat one of Violette's chickens and she chased him off. We didn't see him for a few days until a hunting party saw him eating frogs in the wetlands. Apparently he'll follow the hunting parties sometimes and we'll unintentionally lead him to prey."