Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen (Xed)

"You know, he's not half bad when he's asleep."

I gave Hunter a disinterested stare before glancing behind me to see that Newell had fallen asleep on the back seat of the vehicle. He had taken his jacket off to use it as a blanket, his backpack settled under his head as a pillow. I had no idea how he could sleep with Hunter's strange, twangy music playing.

I looked back ahead, frowning as Hunter pulled off the road and into a very large parking lot with a prominent sign that read the place we were in was called a rest area. It was a large domed building with many windows and dozens upon dozens of humans milling around. I could smell the hot greasy fastfood, car gas being pumped into the vehicles, and sweat. I could feel the discomfort and drowsiness in the air as Hunter parked a good ways away from the building, closer to a patch of woods that ran a good few miles behind us. I gave him a questioning look as he turned off the car, glancing at me before smirking.

"I'm human. I need to eat and Doritos ain't gonna quench the kinda hunger I'm feelin'." He replied, making me frown in confusion until I saw him stare out the window at a woman who was leaving her black motorcycle behind, her long black hair tied back into a ponytail. She paused momentarily to glance over her shoulder, catching sight of Hunter and I. Hunter gave her a mischevious smirk that made the woman smirk back. She flipped her ponytail over her shoulder and sauntered toward the rest area, her well developed hips swaying.

"Yeah, I'm starvin'. Try not to eat anyone or I'll have to lock you in." Hunter said without looking at me, kicking his car door open and scrambling out. I frowned, watching him shut the door and take off after the woman. I turned back to look at Newell, who was curled up now, sleeping silently.

I was actually glad he was sleeping. I could tell that he was beginning to suspect something was wrong with his memories, and he was bound to ask me what happened. If he found out what I had done to wipe his memory, he would hate me and probably leave me.

I had nowhere else to go in the world and there was nowhere else I would rather be than beside Newell every step of his life.

I sat back in my seat, trying to ignore the clenching in my gut that indicated that I was hungry. And yes, I was starving, but not for the same meal Hunter had referred to. I was craving blood, bones, and cartilage. My stomach ached and growled deeply for food, but I couldn't attack anyone here. Someone was bound to notice and I usually only ate whenever Newell ate, but he had drank a couple of the blood bags Alaric had given him already. He should be satisfied until midnight and I wasn't sure I could last until midnight.

It didn't help that humans kept passing by in front of the car, all of them laughing and talking, completely unaware that I was watching them the same way a shark watched a seal before going in for the kill. Thinking about it only made my stomach ache further. Instincts told me to simply turn on Newell and devour him, but when I looked back at him, the hunger in my belly was squelched at the sight of him sleeping so peacefully.

My heart began to ache now as well as I forced myself to turn away and sit in my seat stiffly. I wanted more than just something to eat now and a voice inside my head told me to attempt Hunter's way of satisfying the sexual itch in my pants, but I couldn't speak like Hunter could and I had no doubt that human women were not very particular to a man who did not speak or offer any sort of foreplay.

They wanted commitment, a relationship after sex. I did not. I simply wanted to sate an animalistic need that quite honestly didn't want them. I wanted Newell, but that was and forever would be impossible. Newell was too small, too fragile. Even if he did somehow, by some miracle, accept me, we could never go as far as I wanted to go. Newell would break in my arms. I might even kill him and the thought made my throat clench. My hunger ceased.