Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One (Newell)

"Pretty, pretty, prettyyy!"

I was beginning to reconsider taking Starling with us. We hadn't even left the village yet and he was already driving me up the walls. He constantly wanted attention now and he refused to take bathes, unless I was with him. He only ate what I gave him, and yet, he didn't listen to a single word I said.

I thanked the gods that I was unable to produce children or get married. It would be the furthest thing I wanted. They demanded too much attention, and they were disobedient.

I preferred Xed. He was silent, though not by choice. He did everything I said, most of the time. He was useful in most situations. And currently, he was watching me as he stood beside me while I sat at the dining table, sucking blood out of a blood bag, frowning at the flavor of it. It tasted awkward, as if it had been kept in the fridge for far too long. I set the blood bag on the table, and Starling went to reach for it curiously, but I smacked my hand down on the bag, resulting in little spatters of blood hitting my cheek. I scowled and Starling giggled, clapping his hands gleefully.

"Yo," Hunter greeted us, coming into the kitchen, pausing to look at me, "Hey, shortstuff, you got a little somethin' somethin'--"

"I know." I deadpanned. Hunter smirked while Starling continued to laugh and Xed seemed to struggle for a straight face. And just what was he laughing at? Don't tell me he honestly enjoyed Starling's company. A shame when I tell him Starling won't be staying with us.

"Did you want something?" I asked Hunter dryly as I wiped my cheek on my shirt sleeve. Hunter nodded, coming over and leaning on the table to look down at me.

"So I talked to a few more people and they're all saying the same thing, but isn't it weird how they all have more to add to the story, all the same, after we talked to Carmen and Stone?" He asked with a frown. I glanced up at him curiously.

"You think they're changing their stories to match up."

"Makes sense to me."

"But why would they do that? They sound like they're convicting Drake."

"Because they're pissed that Drake is sleeping with Vini, their omega. If they can't get rid of Vini, they'll get rid of Drake. It's a harsh world, kid. Just because you're the same species doesn't mean everyone's gonna rush to help you."

"Tell me about it." I muttered, scratching my fingernail against my fang before folding my arms over my chest. Hunter was correct. My species hated me. I couldn't think of a single vampire that truly enjoyed my company, not that I enjoyed theirs anyway. While other species fought against extinction and persecution from other species, mine was too busy trying to co-exist with cattle and get political gain.

Some days, I wondered if it would have been easier to have been born a different species. Would I still be the same? Would others? I couldn't be sure, and thinking about it was making me oddly depressed, so I shook it from my mind.

"Well," I said at last, "We don't have time to lounge around like this. We're closer and closer to our goal and I can't wait to get out of this hellhole."

"Hellhole!" Starling chirped. Hunter scowled.

"Look at that, you're teaching him bad words." He scolded, but he hardly sounded concerned with it as he glanced at Starling, who beamed. I raised an eyebrow, then looked at Starling.

"Say, Hunter is an idiot." I told him. Starling looked at me with a confused smile. Hunter made a face.

"Don't teach him--"