Chapter 8 - These Animals May Bite

Start from the beginning

Jason gulped and picked up a helmet. Notorious grabbed her own helmet and mounted the bike. Jason got on after her and Notorious grinned wildly before starting the engine and speeding off, the wheels screeching as she drove away, heading to the wolfs den.

Jason

I could feel Notorious laughing as I prayed to every god I’d ever heard of, pleading that I wouldn't fall off of 'the beast' as Notorious called the bike. I’d prefer to call it 'death on wheels'.

I tightened my arms around her waist, half because I really didn't want to fall off, half because I finally had the opportunity to be close to her. She was an intimidating girl, that I knew for sure, but I still had an unexplainable urge to spend every waking and - hell - every sleeping moment, with Notorious. I felt like I had to protect her, but God knows she doesn't need protecting.

The motorbike lurched to a stop, sending dust swirling up from the ground; Notorious took her helmet off, her silky purple hair tumbling around her. I caught the sent of raspberries and I inhaled deeply, engraining the scent into my memory.

I hated raspberries, but the fact she smelled like them, made me want to like them.

I took my own helmet off as Notorious jumped off of the bike. I wanted to jump too, or do something to impress her, but, knowing me, I'd only fall and embarrass myself.

I swung my leg around instead and dismounted; then looked around to see where we had ended up. We were on the edge of a forest, the trees all the same dark green. Darkness seemed to consume every inch of the it; even the outer edges seemed black.

Of course it is, I thought, why shouldn't a forest full of were-wolfs be pitch black and shit scary. 

My eyes travelled back to Notorious; she had a smile playing at the corners of her mouth. Her eyes wandered up to my hair and she snickered slightly. My eyebrows pinched together and I looked in the wing mirror of the bike.

My hair was stood up in random places and static in others. 

I groaned at the terrible look and tried my best to flatten it, but it didn't help in the slightest. Great. How come her hair stays perfect and mine ends up looking like a nest? I thought.

"Because I’ve had many years to become perfect." Notorious said.

Shit! I'd said it out loud.

"Come along pretty boy, we have some wolfs to tame." Notorious said winking.

Sometimes I could swear she knew I liked her. Like when she gave me that cheeky smile and winked at me just to tease me, to show me what I was missing, what I’d never have.  Every moment she did something like that I could swear she could read me like a book. Because let's face it, a girl like Charms would never take a second look at me; she'd been alive to see so many better men, and had probably been with many better men. I had no chance.

I walked along aside Notorious as we battled through the shrubbery, grumbling as I still tried to flatten my hair.

Notorious suddenly grabbed my wrist, losing her temper. "Dear God! Here, let me." She started to run her fingers through my hair, untangling and flattening it out. I resisted the urge to close my eyes at the surprisingly heavenly feel.

"Thanks." I said, daring to look up at her, into her eyes. She blushed slightly and looked straight back.

"I don't see why you need to look good, we're in the dark anyway." She said, rolling her eyes.

"If I'm going to die, I wish to die looking fabulous." I turned away, towards the direction we were walking in before, but before I could start to move again, I turned back to look at her, "You think I look good then, huh?"

Notorious opened her mouth to protest, but then closed it again, glaring at me. With some new found confidence, I smiled at her and then turned my head back around and started walking.

"Come along then, Charms, we have a date with the wolves," I called over my shoulder.

"Do you, now?" Said a gruff voice behind me.

I swallowed hard and turned around to see what had to be one of the largest men I’d ever come face to face with.

I groaned, recognising the species immeadiately.

The man looked to be about seven feet tall and, God, he was muscular... He wore a brown t-shirt and denim trousers. His feet were bare and looked filthy, but despite his bad foot hygiene, his teeth were blazing white, his canines slightly longer than my own, hanging threateningly over his lower lip.

I felt my throat tighten. Yep, I'm going to die; better tell mother I love her.

Notorious walked forward, her body swaying, looking as graceful as ever, despite the rough terrain.

"Mathew, lets not scare the boy, it’s only his second day."

I knew she only said that to get him, Mathew, away from me, but I couldn't help feeling slightly annoyed.

"Notorious, babe," He made a growling noise at the back of his throat. "You look...  Wow!" He eyed her up and down, and I felt the sudden urge to punch him in the face. With a chair.

"You'd do well to remember I'm not your babe anymore, Mathew." Her tone was cool and threatening.

I saw her knife slip from under the sleeve of her leather jacket and into her hand. She looked like a lioness, poised, ready to strike, yet calm and graceful. Oh god, I’d left my weapons on the bike... I looked at notorious, alarmed, but she wasn't looking at me; her gaze was fixed on Mathew, ready for him in case he decided to strike.

Mathew looked momentarily furious, but then decided not to mess with Notorious. He smiled grimly, "Hey now, we're all friends here," he chuckled, trying to sound blasé'. "Come, meet the pack, and then we can chat, yes?"

"Actually," Notorious said, seeing the look on my face, "we only needed to talk to you."

"You have him as back up, I want someone. Its only fair, Notorious, and I know you well enough to know that you stick to the rules of a fight."

"One: the odds are always against you when it comes to fighting me. Two: I don't need back up. And, finally, three: fine, go get a friend, it won't do you much good anyway." Notorious smirked with confidence.

Mathew grinned, turned, and started walking, going deeper into the forest. I have to admit, I thought he was brave to turn his back on Notorious. I definitely wouldn't have.

Notorious set off after him, knife still in hand. I followed closely behind her.

"You failed test one, by the way." She addressed me in a hushed voice, "Leaving your weapons at the bike, when were about to face were-wolfs."

She put her spare hand into her jacket and pulled out a long dagger with a simple black hilt. It looked unused, perfectly sharpened and glistening. It reminded me of Notorious' eyes, sharp and focused, but occasionally they sparkled, especially when she was laughing.

After ten minutes of silent walking I started to hear murmers in the distance and shuffling in the bushes either side of the path we were on. Twice I caught a glimpse of fur or large, reflective, yellow eyes.

Mathew turned around suddenly and spread his arms wide. "Welcome," he bellowed, "to my humble abode. Please, Notorious and whoever the hell you are, make yourself at home." He grinned, flashing his razor sharp canines. He turned around again and walked through a net of leaves and branches, disappearing into the darkness and shrubbery.

I glanced at Notorious, to find that she was looking back at me, worry etched on her face. She closed her eyes, breathed out, then opened them again, but this time she looked strong, fearless and ready. She smiled at me and took my hand, squeezed it, and let go again, before following Mathew through the forests veil.

I looked at her in amazement. How does she go from fearful to powerful in just one breath?

I will follow that woman to the ends of the earth... I smiled. But to start, I will follow her to the wolves.