Chapter 5 - An Old Friend

Behind the door was a tall, scruffy looking man with big, wild eyes and wild orange hair to match. He wore a white shirt underneath a blood red waistcoat, patterned with gold stitching. On top on that he wore a long, brown, leather coat that reached his ankles where, beneath his itchy looking brown trousers, he had on socks and sandals. In his hands he held a black walking cane, topped with a dented, silver-white head, in the shape of a wolf.

Notorious shrieked.

A moment later Jason came running; the metal bar rose defensively in his hands, ready to swing.

Notorious jumped into the scruffy man’s arms, grinning like a child on Christmas day.

"Laylan!" She exclaimed. "Oh, I've missed you; it’s been too long! What brings you here?"

Jason lowered the bar, staring quizzically at the pair.

"I’ve missed you too, my dear," Laylan said, "and I'm here because I heard of plans to give you an apprentice." He spoke with a heavy British accent.  "However, I see that they have given you one already." He added, eyeing up Jason, who was still gripping the bar.

"Dear me, boy," Laylan said, "What do you intend to do, fish me to death?"

Jason's brows furrowed, but Notorious grinned, knowing what would come next.

Laylan winked and the bar in Jason's hand transformed into a live fish. Jason yelped and jumped back, dropping the fish, confusion and horror on his face.

"Wh-Wha... How?" Jason stuttered.

Notorious giggled. "Jason," she said, "meet Laylan"

Laylan bowed, waving his hands dramatically as he went down.

"Laylan was my master for 14 years," she continued, "he is a mage; one of the best I might add."

"A mage?" Jason asked.

"Mages are people who have an all human blood line, but, for some reason, can still direct or control magic."

"Whoa, whoa..." Said Jason. "You're going to have to slow it down for me."

Notorious sighed. "Magic is in the elements, earth, wind, water and fire. But it’s also inside of mages, warlocks, fae, vampires and some monsters. Some other species can learn to direct magic, but they cant control any. There are only two known species that cannot direct magic at all - humans and were-beings. Got it?" Notorious finished with a long exhale.

"I can do magic?" A wide eyed Jason asked.

"No." Laylan said. "You can direct and control magic. And I will help my sweet Notorious teach you."

"Before we get started," Notorious said, looking at Laylan, "how about one quick game for old times sake?"

Laylan smiled and with a flick of his wrist, a table and two chairs came flying across the room, landing between where Laylan and Notorious stood.

"What game? Should I be worried?" Jason asked, worry etched onto his face.

"No need." Notorious said. "To understand the game, you have to understand the basics of magic. You already know that the main things you can direct with magic are wind, earth, water and fire. I am still training in the higher levels of air directing, but I can fully control water. Laylan can also control water, but he can direct wind and earth as well." Laylan winked and smiled at Notorious.

"Also," Notorious carried on, "The magic inside of you will connect with the element you're trying to direct or control. To control an element you must have an easy connection with it, your magic will be drawn to it, and therefore it is pretty easy to control. With directing on the other hand, it takes a lot of concentration and you will never be as good with it as you are with your main element, because your main element is like second nature to you."