Chapter 3 - An Unwanted Task

Notorious straightened; plastered on the most convincing smile she could manage, and entered room 5.

The room was large, white, shiny and, just like the rest of the building, smelled like bleach and lemon scented cleaning products.

Despite the size of the room and the free space available, all four council members were huddled together in the middle of the room, whispering to a man I'd never seen before.

His long grey hair was tied neatly back, resting between his shoulder blades; he wore a sharp, black pinstriped suit, complete with shiny, polished, black shoes and a cane.

His stern, slightly wrinkled face gave off the impression that he isn't a man to be messed with. Everything about him screamed of importance.

He must be the representative of the Deciders, Notorious concluded.

Notorious looked down at herself and grimaced; now wishing she'd worn something nicer than her fighting gear. It was sexy, but not the kind of thing one should wear to a meeting.

She wore a black, scoop necked vest top and too-tight, black trousers. She also wore black high heels that, thanks to Notorious' handy work, could slice through flesh like it was butter. She had a brown leather jacket that concealed her gun, bullet pouch and up her sleeves, a small silver blade (which she favoured) and a larger blade (which she found clumsy).

Shaking off her wardrobe doubts, she walked over to the group, her heels clicking on the ground a she went, and bowed her head to them, to show respect to her leaders.

They tipped their heads back to her, the four council leaders blushing, embarrassed to have been caught bickering and out of their thrown-like chairs. They shuffled away to their seats, leaving the Decider standing, and not offering him a seat.

They obviously don't like him very much, Notorious thought to herself.

Once seated, the council members all looked at each other, waiting nervously for someone to start. Notorious just stood there, smiling politely, (although what she really wanted to do was roll her eyes and get on with the meeting, after all, what could be so bad that no one wanted to tell her it?).

One of the council leaders coughed awkwardly, obviously not liking the fact he had to speak first.

He only looked to be around 25, the youngest of the group by far, with sandy hair, a few freckles and a round, geeky, baby face.

"Okay... Let’s get started then." He cleared his throat, "My name is Leader Andrew, and we have summoned you here today to..."

"Summoned?" Notorious cut him off, raising her eyebrows. "You politely asked me here and I could have very easily politely declined your request."

"Well, I, um..." Leader Andrew stuttered.

"Miss Charms," A voice said from behind her. Notorious spun around, knife in hand.

She was face to face with the representative from the Deciders.

"Miss Charms," he repeated a sickly sweet grin on his face, "all council members have the right to summon you, whether it’s Leader Andrew here, or someone important, like me."

I'm starting to see why the Council Leaders don't like him, Notorious thought bitterly.

"Indeed..." Notorious said with false politeness, "May I ask, who exactly are you and why the hell are you here?" Notorious started twirling her small blade in her hands, weaving it delicately through her fingers.

"I am Decider Cornelius," He announced with pride, "And I am here to make sure you comply with what we are about to tell you."

"Well then by all means, spit it out." Notorious said, glaring at Decider Cornelius. 

If looks could kill... And god, I wish they could.

"Very well. We are appointing you an apprentice."

Notorious became still and there was a long silence. She stopped twirling her knife and was now gripping the hilt so tightly her knuckles turned white.

"I’m sorry, what?" Notorious said through gritted teeth. "I work alone. I have done since I passed my tests, and you want me to train up some incompetent child?"

The council members shifted uncomfortably in their seats, but Decider Cornelius didn’t bat an eyelid.

"You don’t look that old yourself Miss Charms." The Decider remarked.

"I may look 19, but I celebrate my 142nd birthday this year, and by the way, you are now not invited to the party."

"Enough of this chatter!" The Decider snapped in a raised voice. 

Must be upset that he’s missing my party, Notorious thought, smiling to herself.

"It is time to meet your student." The Decider said.

Notorious still had her knife in her hand and had no intentions of putting it away.

The Decider turned around to face one of the council Leaders, a middle aged woman with a kind face and shoulder length, blonde curls.

"Bring him in." Decider Cornelius ordered her.

"With all due respect, Mr Decider Sir," The woman said, "While you may have the right to tell the lovely Miss Charms here what to do, you do not order me around, Sir." She finished, adjusting her flowing white dress and getting comfortable in her chair, making it obvious she wasn't going anywhere.

Notorious smiled at her. I like her! She decided.

The decider coughed uncomfortably before turning towards a guard at the door and asking him (politely this time) to bring in the apprentice.

The big doors opened and Notorious clutched her knife even tighter.

A boy of about 17 walked in, looking rather nervous. He had red, slightly messy, wavy hair and bright green eyes, pale but clear skin and striking features. He was about six feet tall, with a toned but not overly muscular body, which could be made out from underneath his band shirt and jeans.

If Notorious wasn't so shocked and mad, she probably would of found him attractive.

"Um, hello."  He said, unsure of what to say. "I'm Jason."

"Jason, this is Notorious Charms, your new mentor."

"Pleased to meet you, Miss Charms."  Jason said, looking into her eyes and shooting her a half smile. For the first time since he entered the room he looked totally at ease.

Notorious felt her stomach flutter and cursed her human half for the fact she liked him already. It'll take more than a smile to win me over, Notorious rationed with herself.

Jason held out his hand for Notorious to shake, but quickly pulled back when he spotted the knife in her right hand.

Notorious gave him a wicked grin and put away her blade. This time she held her hand out and pulled Jason close when he took it.

"Don't worry," She whispered, " I don't bite, much." Then she pulled away, admiring the nervous look that was back on Jason’s face.

"Miss Charms," The Decider said, "You have full use of the English Fables training room and all of its equipment. I shall return in two weeks to check your progress." And with that he departed.

"Ray of sunshine isn't he?" Jason whispered to Notorious once the doors had crashed shut, signalling his departure.

"Happiest guy you could know." She replied sarcastically.

"Well," Said the blonde haired woman, "We'll let you get started."

Notorious bowed her head to each of the council Leaders, smiling at the woman when it came to her, and then left room five, with Jason right behind her.