The Reunion

As Rocky sat in his rig, he thought about what to do next. Redpaw saw something with Skye and Chase. Something must have happened, but what? He looked towards the sleeping pup. His paws were pulsing, seemingly to his heartbeat. He was created. That's what Ryder said. But he has parents too. Maybe they can help?

A yip startled him, causing him to slam on the brakes. Redpaw sat up in his seat, eyes wide and staring straight ahead. "What is it?" Rocky asked, looking in the same direction.

"I recognize this place..." he whispered. He hopped out of the rig. Rocky looked at him questioningly before he followed.

"Where are you-"

"Shh." Redpaw took a few more steps, then stopped abruptly. "We're here."

Rocky looked at his GPS scanner. Sure enough, they were right on top of their last known location. "How'd you know?" He took one step forward and his GPS shut off. "Huh?" A few more steps and his paw broke through the ground. Cracks formed around them. "Redpaw, run!"

Redpaw looked back towards the rig and ran for it, Rocky following. Just behind them, the ground was opening up. Redpaw tripped, but Rocky swiftly grabbed his scruff and threw him towards the rig. The ground underneath him gave way. "Rocky, no!" Redpaw yelled. His eyes turned bright red and he snarled, diving for Rocky's fur. Biting down and claws extended, he held onto the mixed breed as the shaking stopped.

Rocky looked up to see Redpaw snarling. His ears folded and he smiled nervously. "T-thanks, Redpaw." The wolf pup walked backwards far enough for Rocky to get back to safety. "Are you feeling alright?"

"I've been here before," Redpaw said, his eyes fading back to normal. He sniffed the air. "Yeah, I've definitely been here before."

"You aren't fainting or falling asleep," Rocky noted. He looked back down the gaping hole. "This has to be where they fell. The lab must be down there."

"Where I was made," Redpaw said. "Where my parents could be." He shut his eyes, focusing on one scent. "Chase and Skye, they were here."

Rocky sniffed the air. "Wow, wolves have strong senses..." he muttered.

"Anxiety, nervousness and-" His ears flattened. "I knew it..." he whispered.

"What?"

"Skye likes Chase as much as Chase likes her," he smiled. Rocky chuckled at that. "They did fall, but there's no smell of blood. There were other people too." He turned to Rocky. "We have to find them."

"We will. But we can't fall like they did. We could get hurt. That's why I brought this new rig." They walked back to the truck, Rocky helping Redpaw inside. "It's an improvement over Rubble's rig, built specifically for rescues like this one." He barked and two contruction helmets came out. The pups put them on. Redpaw's was a bit big for him and he giggled. "You'll grow into it. Now let's go find them."

~~~

Chase and Skye had been reunited with Ryder, Katie and the others. Chase's paws were raw from being scraped along the wall. They had been wrapped up in bandages, much to his displeasure. As he nibbled on them, Ryder scolded him. "They're going to cone you if you keep doing that."

"Sorry, Ryder, sir, but they're itchy!" He reached up to scratch behind his ear, only to yelp. Ryder chuckled and reached out to scratch him. Chase started panting and rested his head on Ryder's lap. "I'm glad you're okay."

"Me too."

"How did you two find us?" Katie asked. She pet Skye who was still a bit shaken up from the fall. "Our trackers don't even work here."