The Secrets

Chase and Skye sat in her helicopter. He thought about the night before, how he had asserted himself to Skye and felt more than guilty. "Hey, uh..." he started. "How are you?"

"Fine," she said. "You?"

"Yeah, same here." Silence filled the cabin once more. He shook his head. "Actually, I'm not fine."

She turned her head. "Wanna talk about it?"

"It's about last night."

"Oh." Skye nodded. She flipped a switch, sending the helicopter in auto pilot. She turned towards the shepherd, sensing his nervousness. "Chase, I-"

"Listen. I never should've done that. I hate doing it to any teammate, but to you?" He whined. "I feel so guilty."

"You're a German Shepard and the leader." Chase was shocked to hear her bring the 'breed' card into the conversation. Sure, his breed, was dominant. Sure, he was the leader of the pups when Ryder wasn't around. But did that really give him the right to bark orders at them? "I should've listened to you in the first place."

"But that's not how you should treat your m-" He stopped himself, ears splayed as he looked away from her. He shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"Treat your what?" she whispered. Chase sat in complete silence. "Chase?"

"Let's..." He cleared his throat. "Just focus on the rescue," he finally said.

"But-"

"That's an order." She nodded, turning autopilot off. The amount of tension that had filled the small helicopter could suffocate. He forced his ears to stay upright, although his heart was breaking inside. "I'm sorry," he whispered. Skye simply nodded. They didn't speak for the rest of the ride.

~~~

Redpaw howled excitedly once they arrived at Mr. Porter's. Alex, who was outside being carefully watched by his grandpa, looked up and smiled. "They're here!" he squealed.

Mr. Porter smiled, watching his grandson run up to the pups. "Good to see you again Rocky and Redpaw. Thanks for saving Alex yesterday."

"It was no trouble at all," Rocky said. He looked over at the two younger ones. Alex was preoccupied with the wolf pup. "How's he doing?"

Mr. Porter gestured for him to come inside. "I'll be right here, Alex, alright?"

"Okay, Grandpa!"

"I'll watch him," Redpaw said. Rocky rolled his eyes, knowing full well it was he that would be watching him from the window.

Shutting the door behind them, he walked Rocky over to the counter. Rocky hopped up and together, they watched the two through the glass. "He had some nasty nightmares last night."

"Has he said what happened?"

"I asked him over and over, telling him he could tell me anything and that he was safe. All he would say was 'He didn't touch me.'" He groaned, rubbing his temples. "I swear if that man touched him-"

"He can't hurt him anymore. Mayor Goodway made sure of that." Rocky looked back outside. They were sitting on the ground, talking to each other. Tears flowed from Alex's eyes, as did Redpaw's. Rocky was about to rush out when they embraced each other. He sighed. "I think he'll be okay," Rocky said with a smile.

"I thought you pups were supposed to be out of town?" Mr. Porter asked, changing the subject.

"Well, once we heard about Alex, Chase, Skye and I rushed back to help. Chase and Skye went back this morning."