The Puzzle

Weeks had passed after the accident at the bridge. The pups spent that time going on with their missions, helping Skye and Rubble recover. Skye only had a concussion, but parts of Rubble's fur had been charred and fell off. Katie had to shave his fur, much to his embarrassment. Rocky and Ryder designed a full uniform for him to keep him warm.

Ryder and Katie couldn't figure out if anything was wrong with him. Every test came back normal. They concluded it had to be something psychological, something that had traumatized him in the months prior to his adoption.

Rocky became Redpaw's best friend. They were often seen with each other, playing or just talking. "Rubble's still hurt pretty bad," Rocky frowned as he stared at the sunrise. "Have you ever been burned before?" Redpaw shook his head. "That's good. It hurts like a b-" Rocky looked down at the wolf who stared at him curiously. "It hurts a lot," he corrected himself.

"Wow, really?" Redpaw didn't really understand. He often wondered what it was like, to be near a fire. "I don't like fire."

"Funny, 'cause I don't like water." Redpaw chuckled, then yawned. "Come on, buddy." He stood, shaking his fur. "It's still a bit early."

"Okay," he replied. He started following the mixed breed, but as he did, he grew uncomfortable. "Actually, I, uhm..." Redpaw blushed, looking down at his paws.

"Need to go?" Rocky whispered. Redpaw nodded. He chuckled and said "Come on, I'll show you the best spot in all the forest!" Giggling, the little wolf followed.

~~~

"Brr..." Redpaw shivered. He buried the evidence and trotted down to the stream to wash his paws. "Rocky?" he called out. "Rocky? Where are you?" He couldn't smell the mixed-breed's scent anywhere.

Redpaw began to feel light headed. He raised a paw to his head, only to find it glowing. He remembered what had happened the day before, with Skye and Rubble. "Not good..." he mumbled.

"Boo!" Rocky yelled, appearing from a bush. Redpaw squealed, falling into the stream. He poked his head out of the water, glaring at the now laughing Rocky.

As he climbed out of the water, he barred his teeth, unsheathing his claws. What's happening... He walked over to Rocky, a low growl leaving his muzzle. Rocky contained his laughter and opened his eyes. He saw Redpaw, but he looked different. His eyes were glowing. "R-Redpaw?" He let out a deep growl, nothing that Rocky had ever heard before. "Redpaw, s-stop it!" Rocky started backing away.

Redpaw raised his left paw, unsheathing his claws, and was ready to strike Rocky when the red glow left his eyes and paws. Wha- The wolf pup collapsed to the ground, shivering uncontrollably. Rocky walked up to him cautiously, sniffing him. "What the heck was that?" he asked out loud. Redpaw didn't respond, only shivered. His eyes were shut tight. Hesitantly, Rocky bit down on his scruff, taking the pup back to Katie's.

~~~

"What happened?" Ryder said upon seeing them. He picked up Redpaw, rushing inside.

"We went out for a walk and I scared him. It was a only joke, honest! He fell into the stream and got wet. Then, he got real mad. His eyes were glowing and it looked like he was going to attack me!"

"Calm down, dude," Zuma said. "Did you say he tried to attack you?"

"Yeah, it was so weird. One minute he was fine, the next he was angry with me. Next thing I know, he collapses in front of me." Rocky looked up to Ryder. "I'm really sorry for scaring him," he whimpered.

"I know you are, pup," Ryder said, wrapping him up in a towel. "Marshall! You know what to do." He shut the door, giving them privacy. If Marshall needed help, he'd call Katie. "I'm sure he's fine. Now, you said his eyes were glowing?"