Prologue

Lara

—---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I checked my bag as I walked down the street, making sure that I had my wallet and phone. It was almost 8 P.M and the wind was howling louder. I did not expect it to get so dark already. The sun already set. I rubbed my arms in an attempt to stop myself from shivering and get warmth. The street was empty with not a car in sight. How can their be no one present in an New York street?

"Ugh" I mutter as I forgot to bring my jacket. It was almost October and I forgot to bring a sweater. How could I be so stupid? New York weather was always a mystery to me. I was walking down the street from the grocery store when I heard a noise behind me. I immediately turned around but no one was there. I swear I saw something move behind the me. I was staring to get nervous. Maybe it was just a bird.

I ducked down as I saw a bat coming over my head. Where did that bat come from?! Fog started surrounding my feet. My heart was beating so fast and I could feel like the heat rushing to my face. This was like a horror film. I turned my head to the right and saw a tall man lurking behind the block. I saw his shadow move around the corner. OMG is this the part where a murderer comes and robs me?! Okay calm down Lara, let us just make a run for it and not be stupid.

I started sprinting down the street when I heard footsteps trailing on me behind. I didn't dare to look at this mysterious man. I was almost to my door and fumbled to get my keys out of my bag.

"God!" I exclaimed as I couldn't get my door to open. After a few seconds I heard a 'click' and got inside.

"Phew" I mumble and place a hand over my racing heart. I was safe for now.

I turn on the lights and sat on my couch as I wondered with one thought in my head.

Who was he? And am I being followed?

Whoever it may be, I am glad I got in. I got to be more safer at night.

With that last thought, darkness succumbed me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Derek

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was watching my mate carefully as she ran down the dark street. I think she felt my presence because she turned around twice. The bond was getting stronger and it was becoming more hard to resist her as the days went by. The bond was so intense. My position and status as future prince gave me even stronger powers, creating an even stronger bond than most normal vampire bonds.

I couldn't resist not seeing her. It has been almost 2 years since I first laid my eyes on her. I was hunting with my friends when I first smelled her. As I followed her scent, I saw her hanging out with her friends in the cabin celebrating her birthday. She was only sixteen, so I was waiting until she became eighteen to claim her.

My name's Derek and I am a 2000 year old vampire who is the future prince of the vampire kingdom, Cordina. I have been waiting for years to find her and I almost gave up as vampires only have a 5 percent chance of ever finding their true mates. I am planning to take her as my bride when the time is right and I can't wait until I do. I waited outside her house until I saw her fall asleep after she turned the lights off. She must have been very tired, I thought. I started teleporting with a determined plan in my head of how to win her. I got to earn her trust.