Part 27

Steve's POV

"Things are messed up I know! And I know I may not have done everything right but I didn't know what to do!" I shouted at her and she stood unmoved by my words.
"I can't take this anymore!" She shouted back at me. "It's over!" She said and I took a step back in surprise.
"What?" I asked, founding my voice breaking. She sighed and looked me in the eyes.
"Not us. This whole thing." She said referring to the situation with Bucky. My heart began beating again and I breathed out heavily. I sat down on the chair close to me and Natasha put her hands on her hips.
"We can't win this by fighting. We already tried that. He has to make the right choice." She said and I nodded slightly.
"You're right." I said. She sighed and stepped closer to me. She put her hand on my cheek and I looked up at her. She kissed my lips softly and I let all my troubles disappear for a while as her lips fell onto mine. Her hand disappeared from my cheek as well as her lips. I opened my eyes and she looked at me. She bit her lip before she licked them.
"You have stuff to do." She said before walking out of the room, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

Natasha's POV

The court room were filled with people. I could barley get inside myself but I managed to press through the crowds and found myself a seat at the second row. Steve was sitting as a witness to confirm that Bucky was innocent and not in his right mind when the crimes were committed.
"Steve Rogers, how come you are so sure that James Buchanan Barnes is innocent from these charges?" The attorney asked.
"Because we've seen these kinds of things happening before." He said with his eyes at the female attorney.
"Really?" The woman asked. "Do you have any other examples of similar cases?" She asked and Steve's eyes found mine. I knew what he was thinking, I had been through it. But he knew my thoughts so well and he wasn't sure that I was ready to talk about it in court. Neither was I.
His eyes went back to the attorney.
"Many of us avengers, including myself, have experienced it. It's like you're mind controlled. There's nothing you can do. It's very similar to Bucky's case." Steve said and the attorney nodded.
"But there's no example of the same thing James went through?" She asked and Steve got an annoyed look on his face.
"But I just told you.."
"You told me that it had happened in a similar way. Not that it had happened before." She said and Steve looked at me. I sighed. It was all on me now. I couldn't just sit here and deny everything that has happened to me when Steve's involved. I have to do this for him. I looked deep into his eyes and nodded.
"It actually had happened before." Steve said as he had gotten my confirm.
"Really?" The woman asked. "To who?"
"Natasha Romanoff. Also known as black widow." He said and looks turned around to me. I sat completely still as some paparazzi's took some photos and the attorney turned around to watch my face.
"Well, I look forward from hearing from her then." The attorney said with a fake smile as she watched me. I gave her half a smirk back and she turned around.
Steve looked at me and sighed. I tried smiling to him but it failed halfway through.

Steve's POV

"Are your sure you're okay with this?" I asked as I took Natasha's hands. She breathed out a little more heavier than usual and looked down at our hands. "Honestly." I said and she looked at me.
"Honestly, I don't know. I figured since they all know almost all big things, what do I have to loose? But at the same time.. I don't know." She said and I nodded.
"I'm really sorry I dragged you into this." I said and she chuckled a bit.
"Dragged me into this? I was the one dragging Bucky into these kinds of things." She claimed and I smiled a little.
"You didn't drag him in it." I said and she shock her head.
"Maybe not but I didn't drag him out of it either." She said and I squeezed her hand a bit.
"It's not our fault." I said and she nodded slightly. I cupped my hand around her cheek and gave her a kiss.
"Hey could, oh I'm sorry." Bucky said as he had walked into the room. I broke the kiss and blushed slightly but Natasha was unmoved by the event.
"What is it?" Natasha asked, looking at him.
"Can I talk to you?" He asked and I nodded.
"Yeah sure." I said.
"I meant Natasha." Bucky said and I raised my eyebrows with a nod.
"Oh right." I said as Natasha started walking out of the room with Bucky. She gave me a little smirk.
"I'm stealing your boyfriend." She mouthed before leaving the room and I rolled my eyes with a smile. I scratched my forehead and sat down on the couch with my head in my hands. I was worried about how Natasha would handle this.

Natasha's POV

"What do you want James?" I asked as we were alone.
"You don't have to do it you know." He said seriously and I smiled a little.
"Yes I do." I said. "I have to do it for Steve. I owe him." She said and Bucky chuckled.
"Like you wouldn't help him if you didn't owe him anything." He said. "It's nice. You don't have to hide it for everyone. You deserve this." He said and I raised my eyebrows at his words.
"Wow. I didn't know you were that deep." I said and it was his turn to raise his eyebrows.
"You call that deep?"
"For being you." I said and he smiled.
"How's Steve doing?" He asked and I sighed.
"Well, he's more worried about you than you are for sure."
Bucky sighed and went quiet for a while.
"It would have been easier if they had just shot me you know." He said and I nodded. It was something awful to say for sure, but it was true.
"I know that feeling." I said and Bucky nodded. "I also know that if Steve knew you were thinking that right now, he beat you down." I said and Bucky laughed.
"Yeah right. He'd never do that."
"No, he'd talk you over. Morals and shit. I'm sure he would bring in some politics while he's at it." I said with a laugh that Bucky joined in. Our laughs faded after a while and a empty feeling was left in the air.
"You two shouldn't have to cover for me. I'll do anything for you guys." He said and I gave him half a smile.
"Don't promise too much. You might regret it." I said, making myself ready to walk away as it felt like the proper moment.
"I still care about you Natasha." He said and I looked at him. "And Steve." He added and I nodded.
"Don't do anything stupid." I said and I could tell he reacted to the words.
"How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you." He mumbled very quietly. I could barley hear it.
"What did you say?" I asked and he shock his head.
"Nothing, it's something Steve told me a while back. It just came back to me?" He said.
"Well, don't let it all back. I'm one to know that it doesn't work to live in the past." I said as I began walking away from him.
"Neither in the future." He said as my heels echoed throughout he room.

Steve put his arms around me as usual, making my cold body a little warmer.
Even though he did it so often, it always felt like the first time.
"I'm not asking you to do anything." He said and I smiled a little.
"I know." I said as I kissed his hand.
"I don't know what will happen tomorrow, but whatever they bring up.." He said and I smiled.
"I love you too." I said as I gently began falling to sleep. The last thing I remember is Steve's lips on my cheek and his hand stroking away the hair from my face.