TWENTY-EIGHT

ADAM

"Every minute gets easier the more you talk to me, you rationalise my darkest thoughts..."
☆ Jess Glynne, Take Me Home

I was on cloud nine. I heard the expression before but I finally felt it. Like the sun had eased its warmth into my bones. With those few words Madison breathed life back into my soul.

We were gonna take things slow ofcourse because time did heal all wounds and eventually Madison would be whole again. I believed it. Some time in the future she would smile at the thought of our baby resting peacefully in Heaven. The thought alone gave me great comfort on dark lonely nights. It pushed me through the days and filled me up with courage to face the world.

Today was Ariana's birthday, she took a few days of leave from work to be here with us. She didn't quite feel like celebrating but I knew that we needed to find something good in our lives to smile and be happy about.

Ariana outwardly refused for us to go clubbing. I personally was thankful because the environment would be dreadful for Madison. She didn't need all that noise and the crowded atmosphere around her.

We decided on a day out to Sherwood instead. Maddy's friends were gonna join us. I'd never met any of them before so I was really amped for the distraction the day offered. Ariana told me that for their birthdays' together each one would plan the others day but she didn't think Maddy would be up to planning a day this year.

I asked Madison last night about it and just as she got into bed she announced, "I might have an idea." It wasn't much but I took it anyway.

Chris and Ariana were still keeping things low-key between them but there was no denying that sparks were flying. I guess the strange thing about being in love is that the whole world realises it before you do. It happened to me and Maddy too.

I whipped up Maddy's favourite breakfast of waffles, whipped cream and an assortment of fresh berries. She ate ravenously. I think she couldn't stomach that bad clinic food. I was so glad when she emptied her plate and asked for seconds.

With Ariana's help after breakfast I downloaded a bunch of girly feel-good tracks to get Maddy into the mood of things.

Sherwood was the closest big city to us and I set out with the girls soon after. In the car I turned up the music so Ariana wouldn't hear us. "We're gonna meet the others at Casablanca Cafe. What do you wanna do after that?"

"Amusement park." She flatly replied.

I winked at her not really understanding and checked Ariana in my review mirror. She seemed engrossed in the lyrics of the song: I Really Like You, Carly Rae Jepsen.

Madison continued staring out the window. When 'Shower' by Becky G came on, which I know is her favourite track because she played it all the time, she just nodded to the hook a few times. Ariana was singing at the top of her lungs and begging us both to join in.

Vanessa Carlen, A Thousand Miles started playing next. Somehow Madison got extremely emotional and tears cascaded down her face in slow motion. I skipped the song but she went right back to it. She was howling into my chest when it finally ended. I pulled over and carried her into the back to sit with Ariana.

We finally got to Sherwood an hour later and pulled into Casablanca. There was a small group of us consisting of Maddy, Ari, Liam, Kimberly, Chris, Angela and myself. We had a meet and greet followed by a light lunch there before heading off to the Jurassic Junction amusement park. It was reptile-inspired.

As we walked through the gates, hands stamped and banded, Madison seemed to leave all her pain and worries behind. Laughter and screams filled the air once you stepped inside - it was a fantasy world.

We were all buzzing around with unheightened energy from ride to ride like little kids. Madison and I quickly discovered our favourite spot in the water world: The Lazy Lake ride inspired by the crocs. You sat in a boat-tube large enough for four people as the water current pulled you across the entire theme park giving you a crocodile's view of everything. The ride took about forty minutes. It was serene cruising through this man-made lake watching the world blurred in the background.

My girlfriend sat in the tube leaning in under my arm and took in every sight around us longingly. She looked up every now and again with a huge grin spread across her face. She didn't seem so much older than me in these moments. She didn't seem like the confident and mature young lady she tried to be. Every mask she wore, every facade she kept was down. She didn't seem like much at all, just the simple beautiful mess I was in love with.

The day flowed into a perfect summers evening very quickly. We were on our second round of the Lazy Lake when every one else joined us. At that moment we were all famished and decided to go for supper.

Maddy made reservations at an upscale Mexican place a few minutes from the Amusement Park. I have no idea when she did this because as we were all deciding on where to dine she screamed out, "Ignitios! Reservation! Now!"

During dinner I cornered her asking what was next on the agenda for today and she gleefully responded that we had a boat ride awaiting us at 10.30pm at the harbour. I was really surprised by the turn of events. So was Ariana. She kept looking over at Maddy and squeezing her hand throughout dinner. I honestly thought all Maddy's plans ended at Jurassic Junction but I was proud of her for putting aside her pains for the day by making a concerted effort to give her best friend a memorable birthday.