SIXTEEN

"If the sky comes falling down for you there's nothing in this world I wouldn't do..."
☆ Avicii, Hey Brother

I was totally engrossed in the movie, at the part where Allie goes back to see Noah all those years later. And she ends up staying the night with him. I was sobbing into my tissue box when my intercom buzzed.

Ari saw me and immediately assumed I was in this state because of Adam, not because I had started the movie without her.

"Oh my word! That son of a gun." She exclaimed. "Baby girl, we are going out! I won't let him do this to - "

"I started the movie without you." I quickly interrupted before she jumped to any other conclusions.

"Don't lie to me, Madison. It's Adam and this toxic relationship you're in that's got you so upset." She stormed into my bedroom and I quietly followed. I watched her switch the TV off and open up my closet. Ari herself was wearing sweats but she rummaged through my racks and took out my velvet black dress with red rose prints.

She threw it on my bed, "Mind if I borrow that?" before I responded she continued searching frantically through my closet until she came out with a white dress.

"I am not wearing that!" I pointed accusingly at the tiny piece of fabric she held. "I bought it on an impulse." I added defiantly sticking my chin up.

Ari was not convinced. "I don't care. Get into the shower." She ordered pushing me into my bathroom.

I got out twenty minutes later to find Ari already doing her hair and makeup. Once she was done she scooted over to do mine.

"Without best friends where in the world would we be?" I asked as she preened over me.

She impulsively responded, "Stuck in a mental institution I guess." Immediately Ari realised her mistake because her face dropped and she looked up apologetically, "Oh Maddy I didn't mean it like that..."

"Yes you did. You're right." I fell into that great state of depression because Ariana hadn't been around to pull me out. The truth is every relationship is flawed and, to an extent, so is ours.

I smiled brightly and gave her shoulder a little shove to show her I wasn't upset.

"Let me make it up to you tonight." She gave my face a final powder pat and declared, "All done. Get dressed."

I slipped back into the bathroom and put the white dress on. Why did I ever buy this thing? It hugged me like a second skin with a strapless front and diamontes on the bodice. It barely covered my lady parts because it was outrageously short.

Before exiting I checked myself out in the mirror. My makeup was done to perfection with dark eyes and pastel pink lips. Ari tied my hair up in a high and slightly messy bun. I walked around to my full length mirror and smiled. She did an excellent job and I wouldn't disappoint her efforts because of my gloomy mood.

Ari looked up from tying on my black heels and wolf whistled. I giggled impishly.

"You're wearing these silver heels." Came the dictator's next command. She pointed to my pencil stilletos with silver and white lining. I hadn't worn them in ages. She really was doing her best to cheer me up. "Come on. We're gonna be late."

I hurriedly put the shoes on and clutched my black purse as walked out. I wasn't making a mistake was I?

In the car I warned Ari not to go to Reds even though she'd been dying to. It was a new club on the beachfront that opened up a week ago, everyone was raving about it and we were yet to check it out. She agreed to visit it some other time so instead we went to Golden Horse. It was a club we frequented as teenagers - from the moment we'd both turned eighteen. And it had been a while since we were last there, the place would most likely be crawling with students but it was familiar to us, holding so many special memories.

I jumped out of the car excitedly when we parked off. Adam was completely off my mind. It had just past 10.30pm when we finally got through the long queue outside. As expected, Golden Horse was filled to capacity, and holding hands Ari led me to the bar .

"Tequila shots. Lots of them." She shouted out at the bartender. I looked over at the crowd on the dance floor smiling because the last time we went out we did promise each other not to get wasted again. I guess if there was a night to break that promise it would be tonight!

Someone touched my arm suddenly and I turned around to see...