FOURTEEN

"Music to my heart that's what you are. A song that goes on and on..."
~Selena Gomez, Love You Like a Love Song

Friday night arrived too soon. I stood in front of my full-length mirror studying my reflection close. There was a navy blue knee-length wrap dress, black velvet stilletos and a silver clutch purse on me, my outfit complete with a silver diamond bracelet courtesy of a graduation gift from my mother. My hair was braided along the right side of my head while the left side left opened in their natural curls.

Once I added a touch of make-up to my face my phone beeped. Adam texted: "I'm outside, babe."

My tummy was a sack of butterflies. I felt nervous but eager to finally spend a night out with him. I steadied myself as I walked confidently to the car. Adam was dressed in grey sweat pants, a charcoal golf shirt and white airmax nikes. He was in casual and I in formal. He did say 'date' right? Quickly hiding the puzzled look on my face I sauntered over to kiss him hello.

"You look beautiful." He kissed me back fiercely and I inhaled his scent, fresh like a garden on a summer's night. He held the car door open as I stepped carefully into the passanger seat. Chivalry still existed it seemed.

I had no idea where we were headed and I wasted no time asking, "Adam, am I too dressed up?" Hoping for a hint. He did not reply remaining silent instead. I concentrated to the road to keep my nerves in place and soon realised that we were turning into the Mc Donalds parking lot. I began an agonising scream-fest in my mind. Did I really deserve MacDs, was I that pathetic in bed? Adam was rambling on now about work, about his upline approaching him regarding our relationship. I really didn't give a fuck because I was too engrossed in my own thoughts to pay attention to him!

He joined the 'Drive-Thru' queue and at this point I was internally fuming. You have got to be kidding. We weren't even gonna sit inside!

"Okay, babe what are we ordering?" he asked kindly.

I couldn't hide my disappointment any longer and sighed heavily.

He laughed outrageous, the kindness in his eyes replaced with
mischief. How is any of this funny, I wanted to scream out but restrained myself by smiling tight-lipped back at him.

Suddenly Adam pulled out of the queue and drove down the road turning right into Grand Gold Centre. It was an upmarket centre consisting of fancy resturants and an exclusive car dealership.

"What's going on Adam?" I asked impatiently concerned by his reckless maneuver.

"Baby, did you really think we were going to McDonalds?" He laughed once more turning the car into a parking bay directly opposite Tuscany. It was my favourite restaurant, elegant, cosy, serving a variety of sea foods and steaks. I remember mentioning to Adam how much I loved coming here but my current budget restricted me so I hadn't been dining here for a while.

This guy is amazing! I suddenly wished that he was mine and mine alone - not just in bed. He paid attention to me noticing the little things and I really appreciated that.

When we got to our table Adam took charge. He ordered everything from drinks to our entree, main course and even side dishes. I was quite impressed because he remembered exactly what my favourites were. I felt like a princess because my every need was being taken care of. He didn't let me move a muscle all night long so I simply relaxed, basking in his company. He complimented me every so often on how beautiful I looked and coyly smiled each time saying, "Only for you."

I might have been a princess for the night but my appetite was that of a peasant!

When my tummy was fully satisfied the waiter asked if we would like to look at the dessert menu. I looked up to Adam and he said, "No thanks. We'll take the cheque now."

Despite the bill coming to almost half of my rental Adam even left a fat tip, increasing my progesterone levels exponentially. This guy was definitely getting some tonight. I was ready to have him for dessert all night long.

He took me back to McDs again ordering a McFlurry for me (again one of my favourites) and a coffee for himself. I was more than impressed by his profound memory. I loved that he splashed on my favourite foods and then went back to simplicity for dessert.

We spoke about work and some of the hilarious clients we had come across. Then we went on to discuss how everyone at work was all up in our business. We couldn't hide or deny it anymore because our body language was enough to convince even a stranger that we were together. The only way to stop the tongues wagging at work was to be a little more discreet.

"One more stop to make." Adam declared driving to the mall. As we strolled into the kiddies indoor play centre, hand in hand, I noticed the place was bare except for a few kids and their parents because it was already 11pm.

Adam led me to the ferris wheel and I squeeled with delight remembering once again that I mentioned how romantic I thought a ride on the ferris wheel with the person you love would be. When we got to the top, he signalled the controller to stop. We were the only ones on it and a nerve of fear spiked through me.

"What's going on?" I squeeked trying not to sound worried but even from this short distance I was afraid of heights.

He took my hand in his and kissed it gently. Then he lifted my chin up slightly to look into his eyes while massaging my hand to ease my fear. "Madison. I love you and only you. I want to be with you and only you."

Immediately I understood what he was trying to tell me.

"I'm gonna make this right. I want you to be mine for ever." I really did not expect this. "Just give me some time. I know it isn't easy for you, especially when I'm out with Tia. I can see that you cringe every time I mention her name." I looked down. Bad idea. All I could see was how far we were from the ground so I gulped and quickly looked back up again.

"But I want you to know how I feel. Maddy, I can't deny my feelings for you anymore." I could see the genuineness in his beautiful grey eyes, full of steel-truth.

"I have been watching you deny your feelings for me. Pushing me away. Trying to keep things on a purely physical level. Just open up your heart to me, Madison."

I don't know where my voice came from. It was like someone else speaking because I only felt my lips move. I heard myself say: "Adam Black, I think I love you too."