TWENTY-FIVE

"I'm screaming out your name but you don't answer me..."
☆ Jason Derulo, Breathing

In the two months that followed Adam told me that he wanted us to move in together and have a proper relationship. "Not just because of the baby, but because I love you."

We were slowly wrapping our minds around the idea of a baby, slowly getting excited with anticipation. The only thing that worried us was our families reaction.

Work was becoming more and more unbearable, draining me, because I could barely concentrate on a single conversation without thinking about my baby constantly growing inside of me.

My lifestyle took a drastic change. I stopped all unnecessary interaction only seeing mum and Merkensi once. We didn't tell anyone except Ariana but we had delayed enough. My tummy had already grown into a slight buldge. Before long I would start showing.

Adam and I decided to tell our parents separetely and then meet them together again. It would give them time to ease into it like we did.

I called mum on Wednesday arranging a dinner date with the family for Saturday evening. "Don't be late." She quipped before cutting the call.

I sighed impatiently getting ready for work. My day was awful, as expected. I didn't get off the mark for the last three days and Elena called me into her office after lunch because she was concerned about my withdrawn behaviour.

"You have been very distracted lately, Madison." She prompted.

I wasn't sure if I should tell her the truth. I hadn't even told Tansy, my psychologist, despite our several sessions the past few weeks. Then I took the plunge. If I wasn't able to confess to my understanding upline how would I tell my patronising mother?

"Elena..." I sighed. "I'm pregnant."

"Adam?" She asked after a moment, raising an eyebrow.

I nodded meekly as she got up from her chair and enveloped me in a warm embrace. I started to cry for the first time since finding out I was pregnant. I didn't realise I was holding so much in because it was like the faucets had been turned on, pouring down my cheeks. I sobbed loud and hard in Elena's arms while she held me, stroking my back.

When I finally calmed down and explained everything to her she asked me to take the rest of the day off. "Go home and get some rest. You will feel better tomorrow."

When I said goodbye to Adam he insisted I drive his car home (since we found out about the baby he picked me up every day) but I refused because I wanted to take a slow stroll back to my apartment. I needed some fresh air and time alone.

Although Adam was incredibly kind and supportive, his presence alone began to suffocate me. He never allowed me to spend a single day without him. He stayed over every weekend and after work only left my place when I fell asleep. I needed some time out to just be alone.

On Saturday evening I was a ball of nerves driving to mum's house. I arrived early with some pudding for dessert. At dinner my parents were seated across each other on the large deep-mahogany table. Merkensi was next to me rattling on about school and her friends. I tried to sound earnest in my responses but all she needed was a few nods and smiles to keep her going.

Ofcourse Charlie could be relied on to spoil my mood - and my life. "What brings you to us this evening, Madison?" He looked up from his chicken soup staring at me with livid eyes.

I stared back into those dark eyes and coolly replied, "I'm fifteen weeks pregnant."

Mum dropped her fork. Merkensi choked on her bread and Charlie continued staring at me before a nasty smile spread across his ugly face.

"Well, well. Who's the lucky bastard that knocked you up?" He smirked sarcastically, "I've always expected this from you. Just thought it would have happened sooner."

Merkensi turned to play with her fingers in her lap and mum looked around uncomfortably. I knew he would mention my father. And what a despicable creature I am, just like him.

As if on cue Charlie shuffled his feet to get up and walked over to my chair. I looked up at his malicious face as he stood above me, seeing the words leave his mouth. "You are just as disappointing as your pathetic father!" He spat before walking away.

Once he was out of earshot my mother turned on me: "How could you do this to us, Madison? We've done so much for you. Charlie has given you everything of the best like you were his own. This pregnancy will be scandalous for us!"

Without hesitation I snarled, "Like. Like being the operative word here, Mum. If I were truly his daughter he wouldn't constantly taunt me. He wouldn't have laid a finger on me all those years ago. But he did. He hit me repeatedly. Leaves bruises all over. And you just ignored it!"

Tears blocked my sight but I heard mum's chair scrape the linoleum floor as she got up to leave.

"You treat me as though my circumstances are my fault. I came here today looking for some love and support from you."

I heard her footsteps stop. "But as usual, you just continue to be a disappointment of a mother to me! I will never be like you!"

"You ungrateful little bitch!" She turned around and walked towards me slapping me hard across my face.

Merkensi gasped. I got up slowly and walked up to my old room to gather any remaining stuff of mine. There wasn't much; some stuffed animals, a few college pens and sweatshirts. I huddled it all into a plastic bag. I want nothing to do with these people. They are not my family. I'll raise my child on my own.

Just as I reached the stairs Charlie came at me unexpectedly with full force pushing me hard.

I remember losing my balance and hitting every single step along the way.

I remember hearing a high-pitched scream followed by a muffled gasp.

I remember landing on my tummy with a loud thud.

I remember a deep voice grumbling, "You belong there at the bottom!"

I remember blood seeping out between my legs.

Then, I remember nothing.