TWENTY-SEVEN

ADAM

"And I know we'll stand together when the world falls down, and I know that our for ever gonna start right now..."
☆ Laza Morgan, This Girl

Maddy's phone beeped in my pocket while I was at work. It was Friday afternoon and I couldn't wait to get out of here. I made the incentive of the week and wanted to get to the clinic as soon as possible. I was gonna ask Maddy to come home this weekend. Ariana was visiting so she could help Maddy adjust.

I checked Maddy's cellphone seeing a message from an unknown number. "Madison de Beer my one and only child. I think it's time we finally met."

I rushed over to the clinic and immediately told Madison about the message. It was obviously her father. Her long lost father whom she had had no contact with all these years. This was just the thing I needed to draw her back to me. She didn't give me the response I wanted though. She just stared at me.

I heaved a sigh and asked, "Do you want to come home?" She shrugged. "Okay," answered a tiny voice.

I jolted up and raced over to the nurses station to ask them to prepare Madison's release for this weekend.

"I don't think she's quite ready yet." one of the nurses said.

"I don't really care. I'll phone Dr van der Woodsen or Tansey if I have to." I said grinding my teeth.

Maddy was not gonna get better sitting in this dull place all day doing nothing. She started responding to me which was a great sign. I needed to take advantage of that and get her back home so she could begin her healing process.

Her mother had no say in the matter so it was up to me to decide. I forbade Madison's mother from visiting her when I found out it was Charlie who sent Madison to the ground that night, causing our baby to die. I didn't want them anywhere near her. Although I allowed Merkensi; she always brought Maddy magazines and chocolates - even if she didn't know what to say she'd just talk about random girl stuff.

Finally Saturday afternoon arrived. The ride home from the clinic was awkward. Madison only asked me when she jumped in if we were going to her place. "Yes, babe." I answered trying to sound as casual as possible.

She ignored me after that plainly staring out the window. I was already staying at Madison's place since her admittance into hospital. I went home every night for supper and to get fresh clothes. My parents were acting 'normal' again. After the baby's burial they said a few words of comfort to me and that was it. They didn't truly acknowledge my child. I knew they hated me staying at Maddy's place. They probably hated her too because they never asked how she was doing. I didn't want to be around them much so I didn't really give a damn what they thought of Madison. Or me.

Ariana met us at Maddy's apartment, stocked with a few bags. I didn't bother looking inside because I could see the bags were fattened with clothes and other 'essentials' for Maddy.

After supper Ari wanted to sleep on the couch even though I insisted she share the bed with Madison. "She needs you right now." Ariana persisted firmly pushing me into the room.

I was tentative of my moves trying to be as quiet as possible because Maddy was already lying in bed when I got out the shower. I climbed in next to her and pressed myself against her back, holding her close.

After some time I broke the silence, "It's not your fault. It could have happened to anyone. You're not alone." I heard Madison start to cry.

I pulled her closer. "Don't worry, baby. We're gonna be okay soon. It just gives us time to try again."

Soon the tears were falling down my eyes in slow motion. I was crying a lot these days - something that was previously foreign to me. It made me realise just how much I truly loved Madison. She made me delve into parts of myself I didn't know existed.

She turned around to face me and gently stroked my cheek. "I love you. Adam, I love you." She muttered as fat tears streamed down her soft, rosy cheeks.