TWENTY-FOUR

"Can't seem to let you go, can't seem to hold you close..."
☆ Shawn Mendes, I Know What You Did Last Summer

"Madison, love, your test results have arrived." Dr Arleen my GP said to me while opening up a huge manila envelope in my file.

Adam and I sat in his office a week later waiting for the verdict. We decided to make an appointment with my GP and get definite confirmation instead of relying on stupid home pregnancy tests. On Monday I visited Dr Arleen and he asked me to come back on Thursday.

The past few days were extremely stressful. Adam and I didn't have sex a single time because we were constantly on edge. I made him sleepover every night as I couldn't bear the thought of being alone and allowing my thoughts to get the better of me. He was relaxed and calm on the surface but at night Adam tossed and turned for hours keeping me awake. Eventually, I'd massage him to sleep.

I saw Adam as my little toy boy, now we were possibly having a little boy together...

Every morning I prayed to God that He would be merciful to us - what ever our fate had in store.

Now, sitting infront of Dr Arleen again, Adam and I were silently praying as our fate was to be determined.

He came down on us thunderously: "You're six weeks pregnant, love."

A million thoughts swirled through my mind. I mentally began tracing my last period cycle. It couldn't be, could it?

"How did this happen?" Adam asked pulling me away from my thoughts.

Dr Arleen looked up from the file he was studying with a puzzled expression.

"Well," he began. "Clearly you two engaged in unprotected sexual intercourse, resulting in conception." He responded bluntly.

I stared at Adam begging him with my eyes not to ask any further questions.

Dr Arleen was our family GP. He'd seen me over the years for the occassional flu or severe period pains, and now today for my pregnancy. Interrupting my thoughts again, Dr Arleen continued, "Madison I would like to run a few more tests." He was still reading my file.

Adam asked sharply, "Why, is something wrong?"

"Not at this stage. Madison's iron levels are very low. Looking at the family history I see no hereditary problem. But just to be sure I'd like to do a few more tests."

At this point, I zoned out of the conversation because it hit me: I was pregnant. With Adam's baby. We were going to have a child together. Life was going to get very complicated very quickly. Shit.

After Dr Arleen conducted a few more tests he revealed that I was thalassaemia minor. Adam hadn't accompanied me to this appointment because he was still at work and I left after lunch. "What does that mean, Doctor?" I asked, my face full of concern.

"We didn't pick up that you were carrying the gene because there's nothing on mum's side. I presume it comes from your father. You real father because we have no medical history from him." He looked at me speaking in a soft tone. "It's perfectly normal to only find out you carry the thalassaemia gene in pregnancy."

I nodded in response, pretending to understand everything he just said. "Does it affect my pregnancy?" I needed to know.

He ignored my question explaining further, "There are two types of thalassaemia minor. Your diagnosis is Alpha Thalassaemia, which means you are susceptible to anaemia; low iron levels and you may need blood transfusions to get you through the pregnancy."

I simply nodded because this was all French to me. The only thing I knew about blood was my Type; A.

"Don't worry, love. I'm prescribing some medication. Just to keep things normal." He reassured me. He wrote out the prescription and walked me out.

"It will all be fine," he said as he patted my back and we said our goodbyes.

I hope so! I got into my car and drove home. How was I gonna explain any of this to Adam when I hardly understood any of this myself? We decided outright that we wouldn't have an abortion - it wasn't fair on the child to kill it because of our lack of restraint in a moment of impulse. So I decided not to tell him anything about my disorder, or what ever it was called, because I didn't want to burden him any further.