20.

Selena

"So you just gon' let that bitch take another good man from you? That's what you gon' do?!" I rolled my eyes as I stood in the full-length mirror in Tasha's bedroom.

Tasha continued to fuss without even letting me answer. "I'm just saying. Why continue to give that crazy bitch the upper hand? If you love him-"

I had to laugh. "I do not love him."

"Oh, yes, you do! The way you've been walking around with your lip poked out, you most definitely love that nigga. And it's okay if you do..."

I watched her through the mirror as she sat on her bed, browsing Instagram. The smile on her face was slick and full of lust.

"... I'd love that nigga too. Shiiiit!"

"Whatever!" I fussed as I fought the chills that ran down my spine as I thought of how right she was.

"Selena, you're stupid as hell."

"No, I am not," I said, knowing she was right.

I was being stupid. Kayjah had won at every wicked game that she played, and, now, I was letting her win again. Tasha saw the contemplation in my eyes as I played with my curls in her mirror.

"You know I'm right. And on a day like today, you should really be there for the man that you love. He needs you. He wouldn't have invited you if he didn't."

I sighed as I thought about it. "He invited me before I dissed him on my porch. He probably hates me now."

"That was two days ago. Love doesn't go away in two days-"

"Tasha-"

"And trust me, if that man went out of his way to go to your house, to invite you today, he does love you too."

Though Tasha was way off the mark with assuming that August and I loved each other, she was dead on with everything else. He had invited me, and, whether he had or not, I wanted to be there for him.

****

I took a long deep breath and let it out slowly before unlocking the doors and climbing out of my Jeep.

Nonetheless, I was still nervous. August had sent me a text, inviting me to a memorial service that he had planned for Zahir, a week ago. He needed me to be there then.

His exact words were, "I need you, ma." But that was before I was a complete bitch to him two days ago.

I hoped that my sudden appearance wouldn't give even more grief that I assumed this day was bringing him anyway

. I nervously fixed my hair and made sure that my tunic was pulled down over my ass as I walked into the small church.

During one of our many conversations, August told me that Fellowship was his mother's church.

He had also told me that, beyond losing her only grandchild at the time, not being able to mourn his death or even attend his burial had crushed her.

This was his way of making it up to her. Of course, when I walked through the doors of the sanctuary, all eyes were on me, but they looked quickly and gave the podium back their attention.

There was a man behind the podium singing I Need You Now by Smokie Norful and putting Smokie to shame. Only the first few rows were filled. I recognized Ace, one of his dips, Keke, her kids and his mother. I even recognized a few of the dope boys from the trap houses over east and in the suburbs.