1.

August

It had been three months since Kayjah was killed. Knowing that that bitch was gone allowed the burden to lift slowly but surely as the days passed by.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Omari."

"What's up, Keke?"

"Nothing. Just wondering if you can pick the kids up from daycare for me. I have to work overtime."

"No prollem. Bet."

I helped Keke out a lot with Alliyana and her kids. It helped keep us both grounded. She was taking classes at Delgado. She wanted to try to get into their X-ray tech program once enrollment opened up.

For right now, she was taking prerequisites while working at a beauty shop as the receptionist and shampoo girl. As far as I was concerned, she didn't have to work.

I was willing to take care of her. Though she and I maintained a platonic friendship over the last few months, she and her kids were my family. But she insisted on working; trying to be an independent woman and what not.

Once I hung up the phone, I hopped out of my ride and walked through the parking lot towards mall. It was mid-October. The weather was changing, and it was time to do some fall shopping.

Now that I was back feeling like myself, I was ready to get some new gear and start living the life that I fought so hard to obtain for myself and Teyanna. I had done so many things for her and my son.

They weren't here, but, instead of grieving, I wanted to live life to the fullest for them. Just as I entered the mall, the sweetest smell came over me. I looked down and saw a woman texting on her phone, clearly not paying attention to what she was doing until she collided with me.

"Ooo, I'm sorry! I am so sorry." Man, she was beautiful. Her smile was like a light, as she laughed at her own clumsiness.

She made a nigga feel like somebody when she finally stared into my eyes and literally lost herself.

"It's okay," I told her. She was stuck a little bit, and so was I.

Man, this girl was beautiful, and she was built like a racehorse. And it was something about her presence. Just standing there with her was different. I felt comfortable and right.

It was weird...in a good way. I was actually nervous. She obviously was hesitant to walk away.

She was waiting for me to say something, and I was waiting for something smooth to come out of my mouth.

"What's your name?" she asked, taking the lead with a smile that was full of confidence.

"August Alsina."

She laughed at the fact that I had given her my first and last name. But fuck that. This girl was something else.

I wanted her to know me!

"Where are you from?" Her accent caught me off guard. She spoke much more proper than chicks from New Orleans.

"I'm from Seattle, but I just moved back home a few weeks ago." Man, I couldn't believe that I was gazing at this woman like this. Mind you, yes, she had an ass the size of Texas and she was a pretty brown-skinned girl.

But it was something about her smile. It was so genuine and real, much like Teyanna's. I finally figured out how to make a complete sentence.

"I'm sorry for staring, but you are so beautiful." She blushed as I asked, "Can I have your number?"