5.

Detective Parker

"Hey, Jonae. Is everything okay with the kids?" When I heard the crying, I knew that it wasn't.

"What's wrong?"

"Everything is okay," Jonae, my night sitter, told me. "Leah just had a bad dream and wants to talk to her mommy."

I was relieved but still felt sick to my stomach. As my seven year old daughter got in the phone, her tears pulled at my heartstrings. Even though her bully of a big brother, Lawrence, had made her watch a scary movie, I felt horrible.

My job had taken me away from my only two kids for years.

Late nights and early mornings had left my sister to raise my kids for me; take them to school, pick them up, cook them dinner, and help them with homework.

After a few promises to Leah that I would shoot any boogeyman that tries to harm her, her tears slowed and she gave Jonae the phone.

"Sorry about that, Jonae."

"It's no problem Miss Parker."

She was twenty three, I was only old enough to be her aunt, but she insisted on calling me Miss Parker.

"As soon as I'm done with this paperwork, I'll be home." I hung up with desires to be a mother more than anything, but my job got in the way of that.

I fought against all odds to become a homicide detective. Including my ex husband, Lawrence, who hated the long nights and early mornings.

He wanted me at home; barefoot, with a spatula in one hand and his dick in the other. But that wasn't my life. I wanted to be a detective, like my dad. But Lawrence wanted a stay at gome mom, so he found that stay at home mom in the pussy of one of the many babysitters that I had hired over the years.

I think that's why I was so adamant to get Kayjah Woods. I hated every willing side bitch that walked this earth. Sure, some women fell victim to a lying man, But a bitch like Kayjah was a deceitful hoe that deserves a day in court.

"Desiree! So glad you're here!"

I looked uo to see Dewey walking toward my desk through the empty homicide division. In New Orleans, every murder was usually a gunshot victim. I was sitting at my desk, finishing paperwork on a fifteen year old victim that had died from a gunshot wound to the head in a park a few days ago.

Luckily, the doer had been running his mouth in school and someone defied the street code and snitched, this was one case that was luckily open and shut.

"You better have some good news for me, Dewey," I said, not even looking up at him. He then slapped a manila folder in front of me. I reached for it cautiously, as I eyed him. "What's this?"

"That, Desiree, is twenty two year old Andrea Edwards."

I stared at his content grin. I had so many cases I had been working on, that I didn't know who the hell he was talking about.

"That, Desiree-"

"Say my name one more time and I'm gonna shoot your ass."

He's chuckled. "Damn, I like it when you act like a cop." I rolled my eyes as he went on.

"Anyway, those are your dental records on that burn victim in the park..."

"Yes! I knew it!" I yelled as I hugged him.

"Thank you."

"Mmmmm, how thankful are you? "

I immediately let go of him, and smacked the shit out of his arm.