18.

Kayjah

Getting out of town was much easier than I thought. For months, I'd been wracking my brain trying to come up with an easy way to skip town. I had stolen from Santana and probably cost Annie her life. And then luck swooped down on me and like magic, or a miracle, I was in Washington D.C.

It was right in time, too. The night that I stormed into Santana's room, with visions of Selena and August holding hands in my mind, Santana told me that we were going to D.C.

"D.C.? Why?" I was reluctant about going, while in my mind, I was already packing my cheap clothes and synthetic wigs.

"I got a friend in the game over that way. It's money to be made, so we about to go get it."

That was like music to my ears. I happily packed my bags and hopped in Santana's truck as the sun rose. With Rose and a new girl, Tae, in the back seat, and the other girls following us in a rental, we made the thirten hour trip to D.C., and had been there for two weeks.

Santana was right. There was way more money to be made in D.C. Because of the abundance of federal workers, labor workers, and executives, the stroll stayed in a heavy rotation on Vermont Avenue. We didn't even suffer from the cold as much. We were in and out of cars so fast that we barely felt the snow.

Santana was in a mision for a come up. He had a strict five hundred dollar a day minimum quota during the week and a grand in the weekend.

That was bring him at least twenty two thousand dollars a week for all of us. We were happy to put in the work becausenthe more money Santana made, the better he took care of us.

Our clothes were becoming higher end. We ate better and rested more comfortably in more lavish hotels.

I was so happy to be out of New Orleans and the constant memories of what I was running from. D.C. was definately starting to make life not seem so bad.

Now all I had to figure out was how to stay there.

***

Selena

"Why don't you just call him, Selena?"

I looked at Tasha like she was crazy.

"Seriously," she shrugged as she flat ironed her hair in the mirror at my vanity. "You know you miss him."

I did miss August. No lie. They say you can't miss what you ain't never had. I was so mad that I never had August because I missed his presence, his taste and his smell. Each one of my senses were craving for that man.

"It's been two weeks, Tasha. He doesn't want to talk to me."

"Obviously, he does!" Tasha looked at me through the mirror of the vanity like I was the dumbest chick on the planet. "He called you, fool!"

"But it took two weeks for him to do it!"

Two weeks. Two whole fucking weeks! I lay around and cried and got fat for two motherfuckin weeks before he picked up the phone to call me yesterday.

I didn't answer either. Fuck him! And he didn't leave a message, so he was obviously thinking 'fuck me' too.

"Of course, it took him some time to call you. You went through his shit, first of all-"

"That was an accident. I was looking for lotion. I couldn't help it that I stumbled upon that girl's secret memorial."

"When you go looking for something, be prepared to find it. You should have backed the hell up out of there when you saw that girls things anyway."