Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

My parents had easily turned their backs on me. Vladimir did as well and my own followers.

Xed wasn't special. He could do the same just as easily. He could turn on me as quick as everyone else, devouring me or handing me over to Zephyra or someone else. While the emotional part of my mind hissed at me for thinking such stupidity, my rational side agreed that there was no point in trusting Xed.

He was a bodyguard.

He was a partner.

But nothing more.

Anything more and both of our lives could come crashing down...

I finished the piece, cracking my knuckles and flexing my fingers as Xed's expression softened. He was pleased with the way it sounded and I could tell he wanted to hear more, so I chose a more modern piece to play for him. I let the song play in my head first before relaxing. I placed my fingers on the keys, exhaling a long breath before I played slowly. Key after key fell under my fingers as I played, feeling Xed's eyes following my fingers, then drawing back up to my face in hopes of seeing something, but I kept my face impassive.

Listen to the song, damn it. I wanted to tell him. You'd find nothing on my face.

That was the point of playing the piano. When words were simply not enough, the music was enough to express everything. I struck key after key, moving quicker and quicker before steadily slowing down until the song was finished.

"Victor's Solo," I told Xed, making him look at me, "From the Tim Burton movie The Corpse Bride." Xed looked at me curiously and I scoffed. He was wondering why I would watch a movie meant for the younger generation. I looked away from him, hitting a few of the notes from the song.

"I enjoy Tim Burton's gothic scene and sick sense of humor is all. Danny Elfman wrote the music, though." I admitted, pausing to frown at the keys before looking up to see Xed staring at me. I raised an eyebrow, waiting for him to gesture or do something, but he was like a statue. I scowled and he snapped out of whatever trance he was in. A very faint smile pulled up at the corner of his lips.

What was he thinking?

"Well," I said, clearing my throat and gently placing the lid over the keys, noticing a flicker of disappointment in Xed's eyes that made me almost chuckle, but I caught myself and continued, "We'll continue this later. Right now, I'm thirsty. We'll go to the kitchen." Xed nodded and we got up, leaving the ballroom and making our way to the kitchen. I remained silent, as I still felt awkward about yesterday.

I made sure to sleep lightly from now on. Less likely to dream, and less likely to wake up kissing someone. And by someone, I meant Xed.

"You're joking!" Xed and I stopped just outside of the kitchen at the sound of Alexander's outburst. There was a short pause as he went silent. Xed and I shared curious stares before we approached the kitchen door, opening it to find Alexander and Vladimir there. Vladimir glanced up from blowing on his mug of blood and Alexander winced.

"Vladimir's jokes are terrible." I stated. Vladimir scrunched up his nose, leaning on the counter top.

"They most certainly are not. I'm hilarious."

"A riot." I deadpanned. Vladimir smirked and went back to blowing on the mug before taking a sip, shivering in delight. Alexander frowned, folding his arms over his chest, glaring at Vladimir.

"You can't be serious, though. I thought you said you and Newell were the only ones with telekinetic powers." He said. Vladimir stiffened. I snapped my head to glare at him.

"There's someone else?" I demanded. How was that possible? I'd never met anyone aside from Vladimir who had the abilities. Vladimir pretended to be innocent and sip his blood, but Alexander was glaring at him hard enough that it actually seemed to make him uncomfortable. Vladimir sighed reluctantly and set the mug down.