Shockingly, after lowering the gun, my eyes searched for where I hit the target and sure enough, Luke was right. The impact left it's mark in the center, at the bulls-eye. "I did It!" I said, excited, turning more towards Luke. I saw a smile set upon his face and I loved the feeling that built up inside me at seeing something in his expression: he was proud of me. Even though that look lasted for a moment, it was there and I loved how it felt, that he was proud of me.

I never tried to seek approval before; never wanted it. That's why I was so surprised at how wonderful I felt when I saw that satisfied smile on his face. In my past, it all consisted of me not caring about what people think. And though that is a positive philosophy, you need to care about what people think. Like right now. Because in that second when I could see and sense he was proud, it made me feel even better about myself. It was something new that I liked.

Looking down at me, he nodded in approval and I could feel the heat in me rise. "That was perfect," he said. "You finally got it!"

We spent the whole afternoon doing that. Just shooting and I was surprised that by the time we were done, I considered myself rather good. I felt proud of myself as well, which was just as foreign as the thought of Luke being proud of me. It wasn't like I accomplished much before and was happy about it.

When Luke packed up all the guns, I frowned. I didn't want to be done but I knew that since we were doing this since early this morning, it was time to. But it wasn't in my nature to go silently, you could say. "Are you sure we have to be done?" I asked, crossing my arms before him as his back was to me while he took down the targets.

Glancing behind his shoulder towards me, he turned back to what he was doing and scoffed. "You're arm is still intact?" He asked, indicating that I should be sore. And he was right, I was. But I wasn't some pansy that quits just because of a little pain.

"Just barely but I can handle more."

He laughed. "What more? You're a great shot," he complemented me when he collected the targets and turned back to face me. Walking towards me, he stopped in front of me and I could see his jade eyes grin at me.

"Yeah but... I don't know. Can't you show me how to fight or something?"

I wasn't comfortable with asking knowing he was already uneasy as it was showing me how to shoot. I didn't like his reaction but it was expected. He pursed his lips and looked down, sighing deeply. "Listen, you wont need to. I've been on the receiving end of your fury and you punch just as good as any man. You put up one hell of a fight and since you wont be needing to face a situation like that anyway, I don't want to show you how to fight."

"Why? Afraid I'll beat your ass up?" I asked, trying to make the mood a little lighter.

He laughed and shook his head. "No. But I'll tell you what. I'll show you some, just a few, moves tomorrow. Would you feel better then?"

I smiled and nodded, happy he gave in. I mean, I knew I probably wouldn't need it. But it just strangely felt good today to be taught something different, learn, and actually feel his pride aimed at me. I liked it. It wasn't like I could ever make my mother proud, or ever received acknowledgement for doing something good. Not to mention, how bad ass would it be if I could fight?

"Yeah. Oh that would be awesome," I smiled before we both headed into the house.

***

I figured dinner tonight would be the same as every other night. Boring, 'how was your day,' and nothing else.

I was very wrong.

Clare knows that there are people after me and that is why there are cameras around. She also knows that we are ready because we have information that gives us a heads up. She doesn't know anything else because Luke was 'bound by law' not to say anymore. We weren't stupid. We knew Clare was capable of anything and that if we told her anymore, she could piece it together that there was an insider. She wouldn't know it's Francis either way even if she knew there was an insider. We were doing all we could to secretly keep her in the dark. We knew she wasn't involved in the gang but we didn't put it past her to seek them out if she wanted to.