Chapter 9

Chapter 9

After Francis left for the night, it was just me and Luke again.  I sat on my bed, still stunned and just trying to let it sink in.  And I didn't know how.  My head was spinning with every possible thing we could do and yet, it was as if I were still lost with confusion on what our options were.  Luke seemed to know what he was doing though.  He wasn't a mess like me but you could tell he was on edge. 

He moved with purpose though, with intention, and like he knew exactly what we needed to do.  I always liked that about him; he had confidence, a plan, and knew what he needed to do something even if he didn't know what.  When I had enough sense in me to snap back to reality, I realized what he was doing as I watched him swiftly move about my room.  He grabbed random things around my room.  My phone, make up, wallet.... Luke grabbed mostly clothes from my closet, throwing it on my bed without a glance towards it's destination.  He was in a rush, clearly, as he sifted through my closet even more for clothes.

"What are you doing?" I asked in a dead voice.

"We are leaving town," he said curtly and I felt my eyes widen. I shouldn't be that surprised though.  What alternative was there to packing everything up?  A sleepover at his parents? 

Luke grabbed the suit case from my closet and strode towards me, not meeting my gaze, and laid it on my bed, unzipping it. 

"We can't!" I said instantly when all of a sudden, I had the ability to think again. And when I did, I realized that was a terrible option, leaving town. 

His eyes were still busy as were his hands as he moved about my room, not phased by my words or tone it seemed.  He just asked me, "Why?" Not bothering to listen or look up at me. He grabbed everything he figured I would need.  He threw my hair brush on the bed, my chargers, more clothes.... And when he actually started to pack and shove it in the suit case, I knew he wouldn't listen until I get his attention.

Panicked myself, I moved off my bed and stood beside him from where he was leaning over and packing over my bed. "Luke," I said, needing him to look at me.  He wouldn't, didn't answer.  "Luke!" I said louder and grabbed his arm, stopping him from packing.  I managed to push him back from what he was doing and made him face me as we stood there.

He groaned, eyes digging in mine and begging for me to tell him then; after all, he needed to get back to packing, the stubborn bastard.  "Why?  I'm listening, Albany.  Why can't we go?  Because honestly, that is the only option I can think of that would ensure you to be the most safe," he said in a fast voice.

He was having a hard time accepting that I could very well die.  But he's not one for denial.  He was smart and even now, he was thinking everything through.  He had a plan and it was the best one, the smartest one if I wanted to live and that was to leave town for now.  Luke however failed to consider a few others things.

"It will put Francis in danger!" I said, grabbing his other hand as he tried to continue to pack, shoving him back to face me more.  When I said that though, that it was too risky for his brother's sake, he froze before me.  Both my hands resting on his arm and hand, I could feel goosebumps start to form along his skin and saw he paled even more.  Yeah, he sure didn't consider it.  He realized my reasoning as I began to explain my thoughts.  "Everything we could do to ensure my safety would put Francis in danger and I refuse to have that.  If we leave town to hide, they will suspect we were tipped off about it by someone.  And If we track them down, they will know someone gave us their names or location.  That 'someone' would clearly be Francis."

Our only options were to stay and just be prepared.  All Luke wanted to do was take me away from here and from how desperate his eyes appeared, he would take me to the edge of the world and further if it meant I was safe.  He couldn't though and though it was a huge risk, we needed to stay. He needed to see that.