Chapter 20

- PERRIE -

Did Jade really audition for the X Factor? When? I didn't even know she had a dream of becoming a singer. She never told me that. Judging by the way she's talking about it, it sounds like it's the only thing that really matters for her.

"When did you audition?" I ask Jade, a little shocked. 

"The last time was in 2011..." she sighs.

"Oh my god..." I say, mostly to myself. This is such a coincidence.

"What?" she asks me.

"I did too. But I didn't get through."

"Seriously?" she looks as shocked as I feel.

"I don't remember seeing any contestant from South Shields in the audition, though."

"Oh, they didn't show me on television. Probably because I wasn't good enough." The last sentece was more meant for myself than Jade and Jesy.

"Stop it, Perrie!" Jesy says. "Don't say stuff like that. It can't be true."

I don't know what to answer to that.

"I bet it's not." Jade adds.

"Well... I don't know." I mumble.

"Can't you sing something. We can judge you." Jesy proposes.

"Yeah, and then we'll see if you're as bad as you tell us." Jade smiles.

"I don't really... I don't know..." I mumble, not knowing what to say.

"Please..." they both beg. I think about it for a second, and then decide that I can give it a try.

"Okay... But it's a little embarrassing."

They don't answer, but sit in silence waiting for me to sing something.

I sing the first that pops up in my mind; The One That Got Away by Katy Perry.

Summer after high school when we first met
We'd make out in your Mustang to Radiohead
And on my 18th Birthday
We got matching tattoos

I don't dare to watch neither Jade or Jesy in the eyes, so I look at my feet instead.

In another life
I would be your girl
We'd keep all our promises
Be us against the world

In another life
I would make you stay
So I don't have to say
You were the one that got away
The one that got away

When I've finished the chorus I look at Jade carefully. She looks... amazed? I can't really read her expression. Jesy looks almost like Jade, but she has a big smile placed on her lips. She's the first one to talk.

"Perrie... That was amazing..." 

That took me by surprise. Is she serious?

"What? Do you really mean that?"

"Yes! Your voice is very beautiful, at least in my opinion."

"It's freaking amazing!" Jade shouts. "Hw could you not get through?"

"They told me I didn't have the confidence..." I say shyly. I can't believe what they're telling me! Is this really the truth?

"You're so kind to me." I tell the girls after a few seconds, but before they have the chance to answer I ask them to sing something themselves.

"Oh... What should I sing?" Jesy asks while laughing. She seems nervous, and I don't blame her.

After a minute of inner discussion about what son to sing, Jesy begins. The familiar words of Royals by Lorde leave her mouth. Jesy's voice is quite dark to be a woman's, but it gives me a good feeling. It's soft and a bit cocky at the same time. I like it a lot.

"Jesy! That was amazing!" I burst out as soon as she finishes the first chorus.

"Really? Thank you." she says shyly, just like I did, and for the first time since I met her she doesn't seem as confident. She looks thankful and shy and the same time.

Jade compliments her sister, and then begins to sing the chorus of I Wanna Dance With Somebody by Whitney Houston. When she gets to the chorus, Jesy sings along woth her. I do the same, and we end up sitting on the couches in Jade's living room sining a song from the 80's. We have a good time.

"Your voice is great too, Jade." I tell her when we finish the song.

"Apparently not good enough, since I didn't get through any of the times I apllied." she laughs. "I'm over it, and I just have to find another way to have singing as my job." 

"I guess..." I sigh, thinking about how hard it must've been to get rejected three times. They rejected me once, and I was devastated.

"I think you have a great voie anyways." I tell her, giving her a smile. I receive on back, and it feels nice.

-

We've spent the rest of the afternoon inside, singing songs we like. Around 6 pm, Jesy called the local pizzeria to order som pizzas. Since we've had the ultimate stay-home-all-day day, we thought we'd make it complete by eating pizza and watch a movie.

When the clock strikes twelve, Jesy decides to go to bed. Jade and I cintinue to watch the movie we turned on about 30 minutes ago. I'm not sure what I should say to her. It feels awkward to sit in silence, but also it feels like it could be awkward if I said something.
Why does it feel like this? I don't feel weird around Jade. What has happened now? And it's not like I can go to bed to escape the awkwardness, because Jade is literally sitting in my bed.

"Can we finish this tomorrow?" Jade suddenly asks.

"Huh?" I ask, confused. Since it was almost what I've thought about asking.

"I feel tired, and we could always finish the movie in the morning, right?"

"Yeah, yeah. Sure." I say. "I feel a little tired as well." I place a smile on my lips, and Jade stands up.

"Good night then. Sleep well."

"Yeah, same to you." I say as I pick up my pillow from my bag.

Jade disappears and I'm all alone in the living room.

Time to sleep.