Excuses Excuses

Louis' POV

I let a sigh of frustration escape my chapped lips as I shut my eyes. Max was throwing another temper tantrum in the living room. Tom, Max, and John had been in a frenzy for the past week since Niall had escaped. They didn't come out and tell us that Niall had gotten away, but the fact that both Tom and Max where here and Niall wasn't made it fairly obvious to assume what had happened. It also explained why we, Ed and I, had to leave Tom's flat in such a rush, get on a private jet, and fly off in the middle of the night.

This morning had started out like every other morning, with the exception that Max had decided to turn on the TV while we ate our breakfast. Ed and I made small talk while Tom and John talked in hushed voice, glancing over at us suspiciously every so often. Max had his eyes glued to the flat screen, but his hands were balled into tight fists when a report about celebrity disappearances featuring Niall, Ed, and I came on. His nostrils flared, his eyes darkened, and his lips where drawn into a tight line. He looked pissed, but he also looked a little scared.

It was hard for me not to bust out into an uncontrollable fit of laughter at the sight. Did Max really think that people wouldn't notice the strange circumstances of our 'disappearance?' It surprised me that it's taken this long, but from what the reporter said some high ranking detective was finally putting the pieces together and realizing that it wasn't just some unannounced hiatus. About damn time.

Ed elbowed me, giving me a warning to stop smirking before someone noticed and beat the hell out of me for enjoying their discomfort. I rolled my eyes in defiance, but I quickly let the smirk fall from my face. I didn't want a repeat from the other day. I'd been pestering John about Niall, trying to glean any information I could about him. He didn't tell me anything, but Tom got pissed and punched me in the nose. It took a good fifteen minutes before the bleeding finally stopped. The only amusement I had these days was exchanging secret mischievous glances with Ed about the situation that our captors had brought upon themselves.

"Fucking all over the damn news!" I heard Max suddenly shout angrily as he brought his fist down on the small wooden coffee table in front of him. There was an audible "crack" as one of the table's legs snapped under the sudden pressure.

"Whoa, take it easy on the table," Ed muttered as he looked between Max and the broken piece of furniture.

"Shut up," Max growled, his head snapping back to glare at us with a disgusted expression on his face.

"Not like it's our fault," I said softly as I took a sip of the shitty coffee we'd been served. It was much too bitter for my liking, and I wasn't going to ask politely for sugar.

"What was that?" He hissed as he stood, walking over to the kitchen table.

Fear immediately surged through me as I tried to take back my statement. Max was obviously very bothered by the fact that a detective was now forming a case- but I suppose he should be. Kidnapping was illegal. "I-I didn't say anything. Just that my coffee was really hot!"

Max looked at my suspiciously but after a moment he let out an annoyed sigh and walked over to his body guard. A couple of words were exchanged, and soon the couple became a threesome when Tom made his way over to the group. Then they walked into one of bedrooms of the small two-bedroom apartment we shared and shut the door.

I turned to Ed was a raised eyebrow. "What do you think is going on?"

The red head smiled as he shook his head slightly from side to side. "I can't hear a word they're saying, but I bet it's about Niall escaping."

I nodded as I took another sip of coffee. My eyes kept drifting to the door, curiosity bubbling up inside of me. Was it worth risking a beating to try and eavesdrop?