Shattered Violets~38

38

It wasn’t long until dinner was served and the conversation was turned back over to Damon and my father. They spoke about what my roles would be and some other business bullshit that I didn’t really care about. Still I tried to pay attention to it, just in case it would come in handy down the road.

Once we were done, Damon pulled out my chair for me and whispered in my ear. “Meet me in my office in ten minutes.”

I nodded in agreement and left the dining room. I had to admit I wanted to sneak a shot of whiskey to calm my nerves, but I figured I needed to keep my wits about myself. Also the fact that if Damon smelled booze on me, it might ruin everything I planned on doing.

Going into the kitchen, I grabbed a bottle of water out of the fridge and looked around the room. There was Hilda still working and cleaning up after the caterer.

“Hilda, why are you still here? I thought you’d be gone hours ago?” 

“Oh! Miss Vivian, you frightened me.” She jumped back, splashing water down the front of her apron. “Is there something I can do for you?”

“Yes, there is; go home. I’ll take care of loading the dishes.”

Hilda stopped what she was doing and looked at me. “Miss Vivian, I couldn’t. There are just a few more dishes and then wiping off the counters. It won’t take me long. I swear.”

“Hilda, now! Just give me your apron.” I demanded.

She didn’t hesitate but dried her hands and took off her apron. Handing to me, I could see the reluctance in her movements.  “Are you sure? What will you husband and father say?”

“Hilda, I don’t give a flying fuck what they say. Now go home and get some rest. Are you working tomorrow?”

“Yes.”

“Good, we have some changes to make around here, and I’ll need your assistance.”

“Sure thing Miss. Vivian. What time do you need me?” Hilda asked.

“I don’t want you here before ten.  Go home and get some rest.”

“But… but, what about breakfast?”

“I’ll handle breakfast, now go.” I demanded with a laugh.

Hilda didn’t say another word. She grab her purse and jacket out of the coat closet, and head right out the door. Pulling the apron over my head, I tided it loosely around my waist. Once I found the scrubber in the sudsy water, I finished washing the few dishes that we left, putting in the dishwasher. It felt good to busy myself and I did love being in the kitchen.

It made me think of Angel and Tone. After a long night at the club, we’d come home and I’d head to the kitchen to make us all something to eat. We’d spent so many mornings sitting around the kitchen table eating, as I listened to them talk about their lives, always keeping my life story to myself; afraid to share. I wonder if I actually opened up to them, if I’d be in this mess right now?

Before I realized what was going on, twenty minutes had passed. Oh shit. He’s going to be pissed. I finished wiping down the last counter and rinsed out the dish clothe. Handing it over the side of the sink to dry, I slipped off the apron and left the kitchen in a hurry.

There he was, sitting at his desk, going through some papers. I noticed the tumbler or amber liquid next to him. Standing just outside the threshold, I knocked on the door.

“Come in sweetheart.” He said as he stood up from behind his desk. As I made my way into his office, he walked over to greet me. “Where were you, I was just getting ready to come find you.”