Shattered Violets~30

Chapter 30

The morning drifted into afternoon as we slept the last few days’ events away. Around two, I awoke alone in bed. Rolling over, I scanned the room; hoping to see Tone or Angel nearby. As I listened to the silence around me, I could pick up faint whispering drifting from the living room. Sliding out of bed still fully naked; I slipped on a pair of pink pajama pants, covered in little cherries, and an oversized pink t-shirt. Wrapping my hair high up on my head, I made my way to the bedroom door. Noticing it wasn’t shut completely I stood behind it, eavesdropping on Angel and Tone’s heated conversation.

“… Why?” I heard Tone ask.

“Why not? I want to know. How did you do it?” Angel replied.

“Listen Angel, if I tell you the truth, I could implement you. If I do that, I put both you and Violet in jeopardy.  That is not something I’m willing to do.”

“Dammit Tone. You are the only one that could have pulled the trigger. You told me you were a sniper in the military. You have to admit it all adds up. Just f ukcing tell me what happened after Damon’s goon dragged me out of the club.”

I could hear Angel pleading with Tone. I knew deep down after Damon was shot that Tone had something to do with it. Just listening to Angel confront him, confirmed the thoughts that were already running around in my head.

“… listen. If I tell you what happened, what I did, you have to promise me you’ll never tell Violet. I don’t want her seeing me in a different light.”

Angel sat there just staring at Tone. I had to wonder what was going on in the pretty blonde head of hers. I knew that deep down she could be as conniving as the direst gangster on the street and on the flip side as caring as nun on Sunday.

“No, you listen Tone. I can’t promise I won’t tell Violet. She has been through hell and back. You don’t know what I overheard those creeps say; especially her father. Right now we need to work together to make sure we’re all safe, especially her. I know that I alone went through hell yesterday, so I can’t imagine the hell she had to endure alone with Damon.”

Listening to Angel made my own eyes tear up. It is true it was hell for me, but she was brought into a world she never asked to be in. I stood there, waiting for Tone to reply to her. The seconds felt like hours as I waited for him to answered her.

“Yes, I was the one the shot that bastard.” Tone finally announced.  “When I saw him enter the club a few days ago, I didn’t like how he looked at our little Violet. He observed her like a wolf ready to devour its prey. With all you ladies in there, his gaze never wondered; so I knew he had to be up to no good. Well, when Violet was made to go into the VIP Room, I was gutted. Like you I watched the door. Waiting and listening. I knew that trouble was at foot, but when.” Tone took a deep breath before he continued. “Anyway, when Damon took Violet out of the club I knew something just wasn’t right. I mean who takes a stripper from the club, unless they are wanting to play games… right?”

“You have the right.” Angel agreed.

“I was so pissed I didn’t follow her. I mean she had me grab all those items from her safety deposit box; Violet knew something was going down. Why didn’t I think ahead? F uck Angel I was trained for situations like this. I should always be two steps ahead.” Tone continued to beat himself up. “Anyway, when that f ucker came and grabbed you, I know this was my only chance to get to Violet. So I jumped in my truck and followed you to the hotel.”

“I knew you followed me. I even told Violet that you were out there. I saw your truck tailing us shortly after leaving. But how did you do it? How did you know where to be?” Angel asked once more.

“Angel, that was easy enough. I heard from a half stoned porter that some sexy brunette just tried to off some old guy. As I was snagging a uniform from the employee locker room, he continued to talk about how they were to say it was some false alarm and how he just made three grand to keep his mouth shut to the authorities. Honestly, the guy got chipped if you ask me. Still, once I could blend in and infiltrate the hotel without being drawing unwanted attention; I check each floor, until I came to where you and Violet were being held. It seems that Damon rented out two whole floors, for guest and employees. I know you two were locked away, but you can’t imagine the buzz going on about Damon’s wedding. Half the people had believed the bride to be dead. They were surprised to find out she was alive. I have no idea what Violet’s father had been telling people all those years that she was gone, but he made up a few to many stories to keep track.”

“Did you hear anything on why her father gave her to Damon? I mean, is that something common in high society? How can someone just give a grown woman to someone else? Is it even legal?” Angle asked.

“Baby, I have no idea about high society. S hit, you know we both came from the crappy side of town. That’s the reason why I went into the military to begin with and why you left home so young. The problem is, it doesn’t matter if you have money or not. You can still have an ugly soul.”

“I know. I would just assume that money gave you more chances in life.” Angel sighed.

“Chances, yes. Morals, no.” Tone sat there shaking he head sadly.

I saw Tone reach over and brush Angel’s cheek with his fingers. I could see through the small opening of the door that Angel’s eyes were glistening; her tears fighting to spill over.  I stood there feeling guilty. Guilty because I really didn’t know these two people that I claimed to love so deeply. How have I been so blind to their stories? I was so wrapped up in protecting my own.  I continued to listen, wanting to learn all I could.

“… It was easy enough to find the ceremony and reception room. After that I staked out the best area, waited for the right time. Still, that old man is a piece of work.” Tone declared.

“How did you not hit her? You dumbass!” Angel suddenly punched Tone in the shoulder. “I mean you hit him in the heart. Inches away from where she was.”

“Ouch, chick you have an arm.” Tone whined as he rubbed the his sore spot. “Damn Angel, don’t insult me. I’m a trained military assassin. My job was to shoot to kill. I had no plan on just wounding the f ucker. I could do that with my fist.”

Tone’s words replayed in my head. He was right. The only way I could get away fully from Damon is if he was dead. Now that he is… I’m still not completely free.

“What about her father? Do you think she can get away from him?” Angel asked him.

“For a while yes. Angel, I don’t think he will let her fully go. From what I overheard, she is worth a fortune to him. Money is locked up because of her and he wants it out.”

“Oh for fucks sake!” Angel muttered a little too loud.  “Tone, she also holds the stocks to some company he wanted worth millions. Do you think… F uck I can’t say it.”

“You think he wants her dead.” Tone confirmed.

I hated to say this, but I knew Tone and Angel were right. The only way my father would get what he wants is if I’m dead. Tone has already killed for me once. Will he kill for me again, if I asked him to? No, this is something I’m going to need to do alone.

Walking away from the door, I quickly undressed and pulled out a pair of jeans and a tank top. Tugging a black hoodie over my head, I slipped into a pair of runners and looked  through my bags from last night. Finding a wad of cash, I stuffed it in my pocket along with Angel’s cell phone that was still on the dresser from last night. As I was getting ready to walk away, I noticed Tone’s truck keys on the floor; where he had dropped his jeans earlier. Guys please don’t hate me for what I’m about to do.

With that, I turned and blew a kiss towards the other room and opened the bedroom window as quietly as possible. Lowering myself down to the bark dust below, I sprinted to Tones truck; ducking under windows. Hopping inside, I fired up the engine. The loud diesel sound filled the afternoon air, as I hit it into reverse.  As I headed out of our apartment complex, I knew I needed to make one stop before I reached my final destination. 

It was time to settle thing for good with my father.

Copyright ©Shattered_Violet 2013