Chapter 12

"Tahira! Tahiraaa!" He sang in his maniac voice.

She bought her knees together and rocked her body back and forth.

"I'm back. Come out babe! Let me taste you!"

She squeezed her eyes shut. He won't find her here...in the closet. He can't find her here. It's safe.

"Tahira!" Uday shouted hitting the chair with his leg making it fall down.

She gasped shaking her head in denial as tears ran down face. He was dead. How did he come back?!

"Come out dammit!"

It was at that moment she heard Arshiya's cries and her eyes widened in horror. He had her! He had her baby. He'll kill her.

Without thought she scrambled out of the closet and ran to him. The same eyes, the same hands. His hands on her daughter's neck and her baby wailing.

"No! Stop! Please...Nilay!"

His sinister laughter filled the area.

"Babe she's mine too! Don't worry. I'm just taking my daughter with me!" He smiled.

"No! Nilay!" She fell down on the floor. Invisible restraints stopping her from moving further. She was stuck.

And just like that he squeezed her daughter's neck as she begged him to stop.

"No..no Nilay!" She screamed.

Strong arms pulled her into their embrace squeezing her trembling frame to hers.

"Shh..it's over.." She heard the silky voice.

She whimpered.

"I'm with you baby. I'm right here."

Trembling she mumbled things incoherently, eyes closed.

"I love you sweetheart. It's over."

"Nilay.." She whispered.

"Nobody will hurt you. I have you."

Her eyes opened with exhaustion.

"I have you baby. That's it.." He smiled gently at her.

The moment she came to her senses she scrambled away from him and onto the floor.

"He..h..he killed.."

"Arshiya.." She got up only to fall back down.

"Tahira!"

"Nilay he..ki..killed her." She sobbed trying to get up.

He braced himself on his knees in front of her. Holding her firmly by the shoulders he made her face her.

"Why are you never there on time!" She screeched.

Her words sliced through his heart. His eyes widened, she pushed him back and staggered out of the room to her daughter's. It was only once she found the baby sleeping soundly in her crib that relief washed over her. Her body gave way and before she could fall he held he up. Scooping her up he placed a gentle kiss on her forhead.

He moved to their room and placed her on the bed. Walking inside the bathroom he filled the tub with hot water. Throwing in some liquids and other bath essential that she used he let the water turn into a mass of soapy bubbles. He hurriedly moved outside to watch her curled up - sweaty, her hair a tangled mess and crying.

Without giving her chance to react he turned her towards him and stripped her clothes off. Carrying her in his arms Nilay gently placed his wife into the tub. Not wasting another second he got rid of his clothes and got inside himself. Pulled her body over his he let her get used to the water. Taking some shampoo in his hands he slowly massaged her scalp. Running his hands along the length of her hair he lathered them well.

"I love you baby." He whispered.

"We'll make through it. It'll pass I promise."

She rested her head on his chest as he massaged her head. Not being able to control she let it all out sobbing loudly.

"I have you Tahira. We'll be fine."

She continued weeping.

"He killed her.." He voice cracked.

"Shh..I'll never let that happen...never. Tahira look at me." He guided her face to his.

He big brown eyes sparkling with fear.

"He's dead. He's not coming back. I promise!"

Still dazed and confused she rested back on his chest. No words spoken as his hands worked on her head and then the shoulders relieving her stress. She stopped crying and her breathing turned normal as she ran her fingers randomly on his chest.

"I didn't mean what I said.." She whispered ashamed.

"Talk to me baby. Please.."

All this while she had never told him of what she saw or what Uday had done with her that night. She had refused to open up and Nilay hadn't pestered. But today he realised something. He came back home late at night and it scared him to even think of how many times did she go through this ordeal in sleep till he came and held her in his arms. She needed to talk about it. He had to let go. It was ruining her completely.

"He f*cked me raw that night Nilay." She spoke quietly, no emotion in her voice.

His fingers turned into a fist.

"I kept on screaming..for him to stop.." She looked him in the eye as a tear fell down.

"He touched me everywhere..he called me a.."

His breathing became harsh.

"I felt like some cheap trash he used and then threw away."

"Sl*t..he called me that. It hurt so badly Nilay. It still does.."

"Sorry." Was all he could manage to say . And then there was silence. They lay skin to skin trying to calm down. Trying to take away each other's pain. Hers was a pain which spoke of insecurity and a hopelessness. Hopelessness, that Uday would always be a part of her. His was a pain which screamed of incompetence and inadequacy. Incompetence, of not being able to protect what was most precious to him.

It had been an hour that they lay like that. Finally he moved and pulled her out with him. Moving to the shower he let the hot water fall on their naked bodies.

"Make me forget.." She whispered.

To be continued...