Part 33

It's difficult to hide his excitement all day, but he really wants to tell Liam first. He doesn't spill, not even when Niall starts asking questions.

''Just tell me! I can keep a secret.''

''I'm sure you can.'' Harry pushes Niall out of his face, keeping a close eye on the mug that's dangerously close to toppling off his desk.

''I just want to know what's got you smiling so much.'' Niall sits on his desk and nearly knocks the mug over. He's really testing Harry's patience.

''Nothing.''

''Who then?''

''Niall!'' If that man ever so much as suspects something, he's on it.

''Certainly not me.'' He picks up a pen, using it to poke Harry. ''You always look grumpy around me.''

''That's because you hit me with newspapers and-'' Harry snatches the pen out of his grip, ''poke me with pens!''

''You calling me annoying now?''

''Yes.'' Harry picks up the mug and puts it in a safer spot, just to be sure. ''Definitely.''

Niall frowns, looking sullen. ''Really? No joking?''

''No,'' Harry sighs. ''It's just banter, yeah? I like having you around. Plus, I feel special when you poke me.''

''It's true, I don't do it to anyone else.'' Niall slides off the desk, taking a few sheets of paper with him. ''You should feel special.'' He picks up the paper, dropping it haphazardly on Harry's desk. ''I'm expecting a full report on your behavior soon, though! I need to know who or what is making my Harold happy.''

''You're not going to poke me?''

Niall laughs and starts to walk away. ''When you least expect it!''

''Oh, I'm scared now.''

''You'll never see me coming!''

Harry can't think of a good retort so he just ignores him and tries to organise his desk after Niall made a mess of it. That guy can do just about anything and be thanked for it, because he can make anyone feel special. It's just how he shows his affection.

Liam is much more obvious; he acts like a puppy drunk on love, throwing around compliments and trying to get your attention. Over time it gets less enthusiastic and more solid and comforting. He's always there when you need him. Sometimes with pizza, if he's late. Like tonight.

''Sorry I'm late pizza?'' Liam says when Harry opens the door.

Harry lets him in and follows him to the couch. ''Did you bring pizza because you're late or are you late because you brought pizza?''

Liam stands still for a moment, looking perplexed. ''What was that?''

''Nevermind. Sit down.'' He waits for Liam to sit down before he does so himself, throwing his legs over Liam's lap. ''So, why are you late?''

''Ehm.'' He scratches his chin, appearing somewhat guilty. ''Louis.''

''Aaaand, I know enough.'' Harry looks down at his half-eaten slice, feeling his appetite take a momentary dip.

''Sorry, mate.''

''Nah it's good.'' He pauses eating for a moment, staring out ahead of him. ''You should. It's what you're supposed to do.''

''What am I supposed to do?''

''Spend time with him whenever you can. And never apologize for it.''