Part 9

The four of them are meeting up for lunch, since Liam's shift won't allow for them to have dinner together. It's a reasonable compromise, Harry thinks. He hasn't been out for lunch in a while, and the menu looks very appetizing.

So far it's only him and Niall; the other two seem to be running late. Harry scoffs at this thought, attracting Niall's attention. ''What?'' he asks, putting his menu down and waiting for a response.

Harry shrugs. ''Curious that they're both late, don't you think? I mean, Liam's usually very punctual,'' he voices his thoughts, and Niall nods along.

''Think they're having a pre-lunch?'' Niall asks, wiggling his eyebrows. Harry grimaces, quickly delving back into his menu and forcing away the mental image that arose with Niall's words.

Just as Harry's about to comment on his empty stomach, he sees two familiar figures entering the restaurant. About damn time.

''Sorry we're late!'' Liam rushes up to the table, cheeks flushed red and eyes shining with happiness. Harry raises his brow when Liam sits next to him, but he's ignored as his friend picks up the menu instead of look at him. Louis doesn't offer an apology, just sits down with a light hearted greeting and focuses on his own menu. For a moment, Harry's completely baffled, wondering if maybe they're not aware of how obvious they both are.

''So, what held you up?'' Niall asks, sharing a look with Harry. They sure are acting out of character.

Liam clears his throat. ''Missed our stop because of Lou,'' he confesses, eyeing the person in front of him. Somehow that doesn't surprise Harry, but the nickname is kind of out of the blue.

''Because of me?'' Louis interferes, kicking Liam under the table.

''Do I even want to know?'' Niall seems hesitant, but also curious. Interesting position to find yourself in. Harry's been there often enough.

Louis rolls his eyes. ''We weren't doing anything. I asked him on a date.'' He shrugs and turns back to his menu. Harry looks to his side to find Liam smiling fondly at the man; an expression that isn't used on others often. Liam must really like him.

''A date?'' Niall asks, stunned. ''I'm impressed, mate.''

''I can be serious,'' Louis mumbles indignantly.

''I'm happy for you guys,'' Harry interjects, smiling when Liam softly squeezes his hand under the table.

For some reason Liam seems really gone on Louis, and Harry thinks he knows why. There's a fire in Louis, a thrilling energy that makes a person want to live. Do things they're not supposed to do. It's what attracts Liam, like a moth to a flame. Even if his job is to extinguish fires, he sure seems to love them. You wouldn't think that when you look at him, though. Liam's safe, careful, sweet. He plays by the rules and is generally a very sound person.

Maybe it won't be so bad if Louis corrupts him a little bit, teaches him how to have fun without worrying about it or feeling guilty. In the meantime, Harry will just have to endure them and their antics.

It'll be worth it, though. 

Next chapter will be up on Saturday! ;) Thank you for the support so far!

Laters xxx <3