"No, I just don't like being close to people," I said. "And besides, I'm not a fan of people who are ignorant. That's Jared.

"How so?"

    "He..." I paused.

    I want sure if I should tell Jai about the depression incident. Not because I thought he would judge me, but because the idea that someone seriously thought that about me was mind blowing. I was a lot of things, but definitely not a label.

    But seeing Jai staring at me with curious eyes I knew if I were to tell anyone about this, he was my best and only option. Might as well.

    "He told me I was depressed," I said, shaking my head. "He said I need help and everything, which is really stupid. Just because I'm not so out going and I don't think life is great doesn't mean I'm depressed. He judged me wrongly and you know what, I think he put a brochure in my locker about depression. After I told him to leave me alone, he dared to do that."

    I never realized the whole depression incident had me so fired up. It was just frustrating having someone label you like that though, so I understood.

    Realizing Jai hadn't said anything, I looked up at him. To my surprise, he looked serious. His eyebrows were furrowed and his mouth was set in a grim line, and I wondered what happened. Knowing Jai wasn't Jared's biggest fan, I had a feeling he was angry.

    "Scarlett," Jai said, sounding the most serious he had ever been with me. "I need to tell you something."

     "What?" I asked, suddenly becoming nervous at how serious he looked.

    As Jai took a deep breath in, I found myself becoming terrified. I had no idea of what Jai would say.

    "It seems like Jared and I are on the same page," Jai said, surprising me. "It wasn't him who put the brochure in your locker. It was me."

My jaw dropped. "What?"

Jared's words of how someone close to me would do this flooded back to me, but I still didn't expect this. Not once did I think Jai had done this. I didn't think he would do that to me.

"Why would you do that?" I asked, hurt.

"Scarlett, after all I've seen of your life there's no way you could not be depressed," Jai said as his eyes softened up. "Now that we're dating I want you to get happier and to do that, you need to get help."

"I am not depressed," I said defensively, feeling annoyance rush into me. "My life sucks, but I handle it just fine. I'm not one of those people who cut their wrists and cry everyday."

"Yes, you're not like that. You're not the stereotypical depressed." Jai's voice went soft, but I didn't feel soothed. "But that doesn't mean you're not depressed. Come on Scarlett, you shouldn't be surprised by this."

"Why shouldn't I?"

"You hate life. You want to escape life," Jai said, turning exasperated. "You're overwhelmed with misery and you think this world is cruel. Tell me you're not depressed."

I couldn't believe it. Jai seriously thought I was depressed. He seriously thought I needed help. This couldn't be happening. Not when we were the perfect couple.

"You're slapping a label on me," I said, stunned. "How could you?"

"Depression is not a label. It's a mental illness."

"One I don't have."

Jai groaned. "I knew this would be difficult."

"It's difficult because it's not true," I shot back, growing furious.

The word depression gave me chills. Not the pleasant kind, but the kind that made you feel like insects were racing down your spine. I wanted this topic to drop. I wanted Jai to realize I was right.

"Scarlett, what are you scared of?" Jai asked.

"People who judge me wrongly," I said. "People who slap labels on me and think I'm some sort of pity project."

"I don't think of you like that. Scarlett, I-"

I cut him off by kissing him. Pressing my lips to his hard enough so that we could both forget about this, I was pleased to feel him kiss me back almost instantly. After this topic, I really needed a distraction.

Jai pulled away suddenly and said, flustered, "Seriously, Scarlett. I-"

I cut him off again by kissing him. This time I wrapped my arms around his neck so that he couldn't move away. I kissed him as passionately as I could so that he would forget. Permanently, I hope he would forget about this stupid topic.

Jai kissed me back and we began making out. He seemed to have given up because he grabbed my hips and pulled me closer to him. I smiled at that and allowed us to get lost in the kiss. Hoping to pretend this conversation never happened, I got lost in him.