Chapter 24

"We're going out today, got that?" Jai said, grinning as I frowned at him.

"Since when?" I asked.

"Now." He stretched out his long body and stood up, now facing me who sat on our bench. "It's been a while and I really, really miss just being with you outside of this shitty school."

I couldn't help but smile, even if my heart twisted with disappointment. Every part of me wanted to go hang out with him. My heart was screaming at my mind to say the words of agreement, but my mind definitely knew better. There was no way my parents would dare let me out of the house. Even if everything had cooled down, my parents weren't the type to just forget my lies.

"Jai... You know my parents," I said, voice etched with disappointment. "The next time I leave the house will be when my body is being taken to my funeral home."

"That's pretty sad." Jai looked amused, but his eyes definitely looked conflicted. "But can't you try asking them? I mean, they're acting like nothing happened. Maybe they'll forget about you not being allowed to leave."

"I doubt it. My parents love ruining my life, and this is the perfect way to do so."

Jai frowned and then sighed. I stared at him, watching creases appear on his forehead. He looked deep in thought and I knew he was trying to figure out a way to get me to hang out with him. Too bad there was no solution.

Eventually, he said defeatedly, "Man, I just really fucking want to be with you. I want to spend as much time as possible with you, but your parents make it so freaking hard to."

Seeing him looking genuinely annoyed, my heart skipped a beat. He looked like he really meant his words and suddenly, a part of me softened up. Just like him, I wanted to spend as much time with him as possible. It was silly to let my parents ruin that so easily.

"I'll try," I said suddenly, causing him to look back at me with wide eyes.

"Really?" he asked, genuinely surprised. "You don't have to. I mean-"

"I want to," I cut in honestly, eyes softening. "For you, I'd do anything."

He smiled radiantly and excitement filled me, knowing I would being hanging out with Jai today. There was no way it wouldn't happen without a fight.

*****

My parents had easily agreed to me studying in the library. It was a huge surprise and I seriously wondered if there was something wrong with my parents. They weren't as cruel as they usually were, which was strange. Knowing not to jinx it, I just went with the flow.

Jai was driving and I was sitting next to him, admiring the cars ahead of us and Jai's side profile. I preferred to stare at Jai, but not wanting to come off as creepy I tried to seem entertained by just staring at random cars in front of us.

After a few minutes of silence, I decided to ask, "Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise," Jai answered, smiling as he glanced at me.

"A surprise?" I frowned "I'm intrigued."

He chuckled lightly. "I don't know if you'll like it but... It means a lot to me. It has a sentimental value and I want to show you it."

Jai suddenly turned left and we were leaving the main street. We were driving along a long path where less and less traces of humanity were, and my curiosity rose as I noticed this place looked familiar. I couldn't recall it, but I had definitely been here before.