Chapter 28

"You slut!" my mom shrieked.

     Her jaw was drop and she stepped forward. My dad followed her, looking furious. My heart was pounding as I knew my worst nightmare was becoming reality.

    I scrambled off of my bed and Jai followed just as quickly. But to my surprise, he didn't run away like I hoped he would. Instead he suddenly stood in front of me as if to protect me from my parents. I was touched, but this wasn't what I wanted.

     "How dare you disrespect us in our own house," my dad growled, stepping forward. "Fucking piece of shit."

     Jai's body tensed and I watched as his hands curled into fists. He was now shaking, but I knew it was with fury, unlike me who was trembling with fear. As much as I wanted my dad to get pounded by Jai, I knew I needed to protect him. I needed Jai as far as possible from here.

     "Jai," I whispered, eyes widening as I saw my parents begin their way towards me. "You need to get out of here."

    "No," he growled. "I'm not leaving you here with them. I'm not going to let them hurt you."

    "Jai, please," I pleaded. "You need to leave."

    Jai looked at me then and his eyes softened. He looked sad, but also angry. The anger was overwhelming him, so I knew this would be hard.

     "Scarlett, I'm not leaving you," Jai said, staring at me with shimmering eyes. "Ever. I won't let anyone touch you."

    My heart would have melted if we weren't in the situation we were in. If only my parents weren't here, Jai and I would have been at our happiest in our entire life. We would be together, helping each other heal from the wounds of our heart. But before that could even begin, this had to happen. My parents just had to ruin everything, as usual. Life was too cruel.

     "You were going to let some boy defile you," my mom said bitterly. "He probably only wants you for your body. Stupid girl! You were almost used."

    This time, my body tensed up at her words. They were a low blow for someone so insecure about a gorgeous boy liking her.

     Jai whipped his head to look at them, and I knew he was glaring at them. His anger was literally seething off of him, which made me panic. I trusted Jai's strength, but I didn't want there to be a single scratch on him. I didn't want him getting reported to the cops for hitting someone - even if they deserved it - so I knew I had to get him out of here.

    Grabbing Jai's fist, I held it in both of my hands gently. I brought it to my lips and kissed it, surprising the both of us. Jai looked at me with wide eyes, and suddenly I teared up. I teared up because he was the last thing I cared about and I really didn't want my parents ruining him.

     "Jai," I whispered, barely able to speak. "Please leave. Your presence will only make things worse."

     "Scarlett." Jai frowned, looking hesitant. "I can't leave you with them. They'll hurt you."

    "With words. I can handle words."

     Jai didn't look convinced as he stared at me. Even I wasn't convinced. My parents looked furious. Their hands were held out in front of them and after the choking incident, I knew hurting me wasn't out of the question. Jai didn't know this though, so I hoped he'd believe me.

     "Please," I pleaded again, staring at him as more tears filled my eyes. "Do this for me."

    For a few seconds he stared at me. His eyes looked conflicted, but before I knew it he was nodding. He suddenly leaned forward and kissed my forehead, and then ran to my window. Leaving through it, I found myself relaxing a bit. Even if I wasn't going to be okay, thankfully Jai would be. That was all I cared about as of now.