Chapter 33: Back On Top

Look out for the <>!

I was in the family room again early the next day, looking at the photos and the information that I have gotten the previous day. Even though I had read through all of the information three different times, I still felt like I was missing something. 

I had a feeling that the frame had to be important so I was focusing on this. I had heard about this story one other time about how sometimes people would hide keys or notes in the frames of pictures. It was owned at one time by a Russian prince then to a powerful family in Germany. There had to be something in that frame because the actually painting wasn't worth dying over. 

I just needed to find out what was the key in the frame. Maybe then I could figure out who did this crime. I needed to get back on the streets again and ask around. The people there would know more than I did. But everyone thought I was dead or retired. This was going to be fun to convince them I wasn't. I started to pack up the papers on the floor not willing to waste any more time and stopped when I heard a floor board creak behind me.

I turned to see Sherlock in his black robe, his black curly hair was a mess on top of his head. He just woke up.

"Good morning sunshine," I said sarcastically, knowing he wasn't a morning person. I finished picking up the papers and put them on the coffee table for safe keeping.

"You're going to each out to your old life." 

I nodded at him. I didn't have a choice. I needed more answers and there was only so much I could get from papers. "I need to ask around the streets about some things." 

<>

"You'll get some attention again." The last time people knew where I was, they killed family. He was not keen on the idea of letting me show myself anytime soon. Lestrade would not be happy to know that I was digging into my white-collar life again, even if it was just for a case. 

I shrugged at him as I tried to play it off as if this was nothing to be worried about. "Yeah. Everyone thinks I'm dead or retired, I figure better late than never to come out of the shadows. They will have more answers than these books do."

"Ok, make sure Lestrade doesn't find out," he said then turned his back towards me and walked back into his room.

"Sure thing." I got up from the floor and grabbed some war bonds that I made last week while Sherlock was out on a case without me. If I was digging into my old life, I might as well make a little bit of cash in the process. I knew just where to selling them. With about 100 quid in my pocket, I put on my blue sandals that matched my light blue V neck and went out the door.

Before I knew it, I was walking down a busy street in London. Most streets in London during this time of season were full of street venders willing to buy my products. The sun was shining, and I couldn't help but smile. Everyone was in short shorts and shades. I just loved the summer. Everything seemed to be so bright and cheerful during this time.

I heard a voice a little up the way saying, "This would look lovely on you my dear. It's only 30 pounds."

It took me a minute to processes that voice, but I knew that voice anywhere. That was Walter. I frowned, I didn't hear that he was coming down. I wanted to know how long was he staying. "Now I thought you had given up this type of job." I said and smiled as I walked up to him. He was wearing a button up blue shirt with a white color. He was dressed way too smart for a street vender. It looked like he didn't fit in.

"I didn't like the bank business. It was a bore." 

"And Ameila was fine with this?" I said as I raised my eyebrows up in surprise. She was always the one that hated this line of work the most.