Chapter Thirty One

Start from the beginning

So break us down
Wound our minds
Break our bones

Take your thrones
Claim your crowns
Steal glory as your own

We'll take each punch
Each fist
Each kick
Each lash

Cause the Spider's back
You'll be in her web
An hourglass on her back
Cause your time is up!

Chaos erupted shortly after the chant started. Soldiers rushed into the mass of children weeding them out and providing punishment. Floggings, hosings, beatings, electric shocks, and plain harassment. Still the chant remained strong. Jerry smiled proudly down at the youngsters. I wondered how he could smile at such a cruel display.

"They came up with this when they heard that their prodigy had returned." And even as Jerry spoke kids and even teenagers were running around providing resistance against the men. They were swarmed by young eager kids that they had been training seconds ago. Only the soldiers were more advanced and were barely capable of holding the swarm off. I was so distracted by the commotion I hadn't realized what caused Clint to tap me on the shoulder. He was pointing at the rear wall, on the opposite end of the bunk beds. A large red hourglass figure stood out in contrast to the whole room. It was a familiar sign, one that was worn as a powerful symbol.

"Natasha." He whispered. It seemed like a dream, a scene out of a movie. These kids weren't controlled by the enemy. They had a chance and we were going to make sure they got it. My thoughts were shattered by the sound of gunfire. The guards were shooting at the kids. Immediately the intensity subsided and as the sea of limbs dissapeared three corpses lay on the flood. "We have to take these guys out."

"That's what you two are here for. You're the best shot in the whole world. You can take them out without hitting anyone in the crossfire. And you can shrink right?" I nodded at Jerry's words. "Okay then. You know what to do."

With the quick press of a button I shrank instantly. The world around me was huge in comparison to what I was used to, but I had done this before. Running off the edge of the cat walk and careful not to slip in the grated holes, my swings sputtered and I was carried out into the chasm. Spinning and twirling I dodged limbs and picked through the crowd until a dark armored suit came into view. Picking up velocity I landed on the soldier's arm. Running up his arm I landed a solid lunch on his shoulder hearing a satisfying pop. He cried out angrily searching for the cause of his pain, and now dislocated shoulder. Leaping I bashed him hard in the jaw sending him crumbling to the ground. In a swift motion I took off again.

This time two guards were in the same vicinity of one another. Fluttering I grasped the tip of the first's gun barrel ripping the weapon from his hand. In an instant both were alert and panicked. With the weapon still in hand I slammed it hard into the man's friend. He went toppling backwards as I nocked the first guy unconscious. Kids cried out pointing at the guards who were now suddenly on the floor. Out of the corner of my eye I saw two arrows whiz by before Slamming into their targets. Starting to the left I ran into a guard sending him flying before he could strike a young boy. By now the enemy was only diminished to about three quarters of their original size. Calming myself I beckoned to any wasps in the vicinity. I didn't expect much help, it was winter after all, but sure enough at least a dozen were soon buzzing around me. With a small army we picked off soldier after soldier all of them completely confused at the unseen menace; me.

"Got the last one!" Clint called into my headset. Circling back to where Jerry was I saw Clint sliding down the scaffolding ladder. He reached the bottom as I grew into normal human size. The room that had once been full of noise was suddenly quiet. Turning I noticed that every pair of eyes was focused on me and Clint. Looking up to Jerry he smiled motioning for us to move forward. Hesitantly I took a step in the adolescents' direction. They shifted nervously some stumbling to get out of the way. Taking another step they parted around me like the red Sea. Clint was a few pa es over the children giving him the same treatment. I plastered a smile on my face forcefully, and tried my best to seem non threatening. Wonder and fear clouded the children's eyes.