31. You're not a terrible friend

Song of the chapter// Mess is mine by Vance Joy

Eugene Hansen's POV.....

It had been an hour since Chris and I rushed Julie to the hospital after she collapsed in her kitchen floor. Her condition had worsened over the weeks and it's just getting worst and worst. It's only a matter of time when she....... I dread to think of that day. Over these past few weeks I had spent with her, I had grown a strong attachment with her. Julie was a type of girl with whom you felt like you were at home and couldn't help yourself from liking her.

"Chris, you alright?" I asked taking a seat beside him.

"Yeah." he sighed.

"You don't have to pretend in front of me, Chris."

"Eugene! Chris!" Abigail's voice echoed throughout the corridor. I turned my head at the direction of her voice, and saw her sprinting toward us with a worried expression. "What happened? Is Julie alright?"

I stood up and clasped her shoulder gently. "First of all, take a minute to breath squid head." I teased to lighten her mood. She frowned but did as I said. "Yea, she seems to be fine for now but the doctors are still checking up on her."

"What exactly happened?" she queried looking between me and Chris.

Chris sighed as a pained expression crossed his face so I took it as a cue to explain the situation because I knew Chris wouldn't be able to tell anything. It would be too painful.

"Julie vomited blood." I said bluntly. "And, then she fainted."

Abigail's hand flew to her mouth in shock as she took in the information I just delivered. Twin drops of tear fell from her eyes while a muffled sob escaped from her. My heart tightened and it felt like I was the one hurting.

I reached up to cup her face and gently wiped away the tears from her eyes as I pulled her to my chest. "Hey, don't cry. We have to be strong for her." I cooed encouragingly. She sniffed and nodded against my chest, pulled away, and looked at Chris who was giving us a small sad smile.

"You okay, Chris?" She asked switching back to her usual caring self-mode that I happened to grew to love so much.

He nodded just when the doctors checking up on Julie came out of the ward. Chris shot to his legs in an instant, striding towards the doctor.

"How's Julie?" he asked, panicked and worried.

The doctor's face set in a grim line as he stared at us. Abigail held my hand tightly, squeezing it hard for support and I squeezed it back giving her a message that I was there for her.

"I will be honest with you. Her condition is not good. You may have noticed, it's deteriorating day by day. She just has a handful of days and we cannot be sure what will happen to her next. So, I suggest you that you admit her in hospital from now on so we can keep a good eye on her health."

The doctor's words were like a sharp knife piercing through our hearts. I went to stand beside Chris who was breathing hard to keep himself together.

What could one possibly say anyway that could make this agonizing pain bearable? What could one possibly say to a man whose girlfriend was going to die?

No amount of words in English or any other language could make that excruciating pain go away?

After about five minutes, Chris shook his head as if to come out of the shock and faced the doctor with a determined look. "Okay, we will do as you say. Can we see her now?"