1. Happy Birthday!

Song of the chapter// You changed my life in a moment by Janie Fricke

Abigail Devon's POV...

Birthdays are supposed to be a very special day of your life and its' even more especial when you've your especial ones to celebrate it with. But, being the unfortunate girl that I was, I was deprived of this happiness. 21st June, I sighed as I marked the date on my calendar, a regular habit of mine that I had been doing every day in the morning since the misfortune that took place three years ago which changed my life forever.

21st June, my birthday. I sighed. Another day passed, I mused silently. I know many youngsters of my age would be jumping on their bed demanding gifts from their loved ones, deciding dresses to wear for the day. But, I was not like the other people out there who had everything ready in a silver platter, living a lavish life. I was an eighteen year old girl, that I turned today with no one to celebrate her special day.

It was not like I always used to be alone. There was a time when I used to have a happy family that belonged of my father, my mother, my little brother and me. We were living a peaceful life until the day when everything changed in my life in a heartbeat. I still curse that day. Why me? Why?

I had asked this question who resided up above in the clouds always. Why did he shatter my life like this when everything was so perfect? But as the saying goes, nothing is perfect. So is my life now. Nothing is perfect ever since the accident took place that killed my parents and landed my little brother in coma. It would be three years next week.

Everything changed.

I was pulled out of my depressed thoughts when my phone started ringing. Perfect. A needed distraction I craved at the moment from the awful memories that had started creeping into my mind. I answered the call with a smile. "Hello."

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday, happy birthday, happy birthday to you." A birthday song greeted me warmly from the other end of the line. "Happy birthday, Abigail." My evergreen happy best friend said in a happy voice and I could imagine the large grin that's surely plastered on his face.

"Thanks Jed." I said gladly. He surely knows how to lighten my mood. If it was not for him and his father, Jeremy, I wouldn't have survived to listen him sing a birthday song for me today. I would have been a living dead after that accident if it wasn't for Jed and Jeremy. He never left my side for months and his father was kind enough to take me in for two months, I guess, and took care of me like his own daughter. He even went as far enough by offering me to adopt as his own child but I kindly refused the kind man's offer.

No offense but as much as I liked the old man's offer I couldn't accept it. I had just lost my parents so accepting a new parent was out of the box and also because I didn't want to be a burden on anyone. My father had provided me with enough morals and values to be a burden on anyone. Though Jeremy helped me in every way possible a father could do for their children.

He'd often helped me pay for the hospital fee for my brother whenever I would run out of money not to forget that he'd offered to pay the hospital fee but the proud self of mine was against the idea. He's my brother and it was my responsibility to take care of him not only that but I couldn't rely on them for every problem that would occur in my life. I would have to be strong to support myself and my little brother.

"Hey, Abigail, are you there?" Jed's voice echoed through the other line, jolting me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah, I'm listening. Where's Jeremy?" I asked.

"He's busy preparing surprise for your birthday. In fact he'd specifically ordered me to tell you that he's expecting to see you here in ten minutes." He paused and I heard him take a breath before adding. "And the driver is on his way to pick you up. So, you better get ready, Abbie-Crabbie."