13. Strange Pain

Song of the chapter//  Belong by Cary Brothers..

Eugene Hansen's POV...

It was my mother's thirty-second birthday. I was nine years old at the time, and for a boy of that little age, his world revolved around his mother. Yes, I was my mommy's boy and I am not ashamed to admit it. I would admit it to the whole world, standing up on top of the Eiffel tower if I had to—if that meant she would come back to me.

She was the most loving mother a boy can ever hope for. That's why I decided to give her the best gift for her birthday so it'd especial to her which she'd remember for several years to come. Using the entire mind a nine year old boy could use, I decided to make her a gift. That was the only thing I could think of.

Now, I was not a good artist nor was I interested in art, so trying to make anything fancy or beautiful was out of the picture. But, the teeny tiny part of the heart of my nine year old self refused to give up. For the three consecutive nights, giving up sleep, I sat down to make her a tiara from whatever material I could get my hands on. After several of my tries, when I was somewhat successful to get near to make a recognizable shape of the tiara, I showed it to Chris.

Like a good old friend, he praised me for the gift, and told me he'd try something similar for his mother's birthday. Although satisfied, there's still something missing. When the actual day came, just before she woke up, I ran out to the garden, plucked some white lilies and purple tulips which were her favorite flowers. Running back to my room, I decorated the tiara with it, then, ran back to my mother's room where she'd just woken up.

Her face broke out into one of those smiles I love the most on her face, and she waved me over to her. Hiding the gift behind my back, I went to her, nervous and excited. When she noticed, I was fidgeting, it didn't take her long to figure out I was hiding something. She asked me about it. Hesitantly, and nervous as hell, I held out the gift to her, murmuring a small 'Happy birthday'.

The look on her face after seeing the tiara was still imprinted on my mind like a fresh memory, like it just happened yesterday. That was the first time I ever got nervous, and maybe the last time.

Now, standing before my car,with hands stuffed inside my trouser pockets as I waited anxiously for Abigail to show up, the feelings of that day resurfaced all over again. I was nervous. For thereason unknown to me, I was getting impatient to get a glimpse of her. It's not me. I don't feel nervous for girls. I can't fathom my attraction towards her that's been increasing day by day. It's her eyes that's always seems to captivate my mind and to the point that I just can't think of other things except for her.

I glanced down at my watch for probably the tenth time since past five minutes. Abigail and I are meeting for our little grocery shopping for Home Ec. practical today at lunch which starts exactly after five minutes.

I had physics class before lunch but because our professor wasn't feeling well, he let us go a bit early than usual. I knew her class wasn't over so I just sat in the library for some time and then came out to where I had parked my car.

I looked down at my watch again. Two minutes. I groaned, leaning against my car. Why is it that whenever you want the time to move fast, it always does the opposite of that? Damn, this time!

Closing my eyes, I inhaled a long breath to calm my nerves before exhaling it slowly and opened my eyes. I think the world just stopped there and then.

The first thing I saw was the girl that's been on my head almost all the time – Abigail, and she was walking towards me. The cool wind was blowing away her silky straight hair away which just added points to her mesmerizing beauty.