16. Bliss Interrupted

Song of the chapter// Let me in by Grouplove

Eugene Hansen's POV...

I waited with baited breath as she stared at me with wide eyes. Honestly, I don't know why I said it after the argument we had few weeks ago but I just knew one thing: I wanted to spend some time with her and just her.

Ever since we had that argument weeks ago at her house, I couldn't sleep at night. Every time I closed my eyes, her beautiful face flashed behind my lids, making my heart beat irregularly. I tried hard to grasp the feelings swirling inside me but for the life of me, I just couldn't fathom it or maybe I was just in denial.

Could it be that I am in...... No, No, No! It can't be love. From what I had seen and experienced, love only creates hurdle in your way and leaves you with nothing but pain and a broken heart. Love Hurts! Love fucking hurts nothing else.

Love isn't easy. It must be fought for but no matter how much you fight – the truth is you can't escape from the pain and hurt it brings with itself along with all the happiness and joys attached with it. You just have to find the right person worth suffering for because once you find them, every tear you shed will turn into pearls and every pain you suffer through will remind you that how much it's worth it.

That was what my mother had told me once when I had asked her this question after I found her crying silently in her room. I vividly remember the day. It was their anniversary, and my father, like the great husband he was, had forgotten about it.

Without any words, Ma had pulled me to her lap, hugging me to her chest as she silently shed the tears for the man who had hurt her repeatedly but still she loved him the same as she had loved him the first time they had met.

"Why do you love dad if he hurts you so much?" I had asked.

"Because, I...love him." she had told me.

"I will never love anyone if everyone hurts each other like dad hurts you."

"Oh, my dear little boy," she had cooed, kissing the top of my head with her quivering lips as she said those words to me, wanting me to believe in love. Of course, the little version of me believed every word that came out of her mouth.

Three years later, everything that I ever allowed myself to believe was crushed into smithereens.

"What?" Abigail's soft velvety voice brought me back from my trip down the memory lane to the present where she was staring at me, dumbfounded. "What did you say?"

Shaking my head from the recent memory that just escaped from the piles I had buried deep down my heart, I pasted a smile and looked back at the girl I couldn't take off of my head. "I said go on a date with me."

"Are you asking or ordering because if you are asking then that's really not the way."

I chuckled. "I think you are right. So, let me do it the right way." Shoving my hands in the pockets of my trouser, I took a step ahead and stared right into her gorgeous eyes. "Abigail, will you go on a date with me?"

Her lips trembled as she tried to form the words but couldn't bring herself to say it aloud as her mouth opened and closed for a good amount of time until she finally released a deep breath and opened her mouth. "Why are you doing this?"

Because, I want to spend some time with you and figure out what the hell am I feeling about you. I cringed inwardly. Can't she just answer my question rather than firing another question at me? How am I supposed to answer her when I sure as hell know she would decline me the moment I tell her the reason. I should have known better than to think that she would cave in so easily.