Chapter 28

Martina's POV

We pulled up and just sat there for a few moments, both of us looking at the bedlam before our eye's.

"What the hell?" Brian asked, looking at me.

I looked at Courtney, who was standing in the front yard bawling and I shook my head. "Nerves I guess."

Brian shrugged and opened his door, climbing out of the car. "I'll get my bags, you go see what's up." He told me.

I glared at him, mentally scolding him while walking over to Courtney who was leaning on the trunk of her car sobbing.

"Um hey." I said awkwardly. "You okay?"

"What, yes." She said wiping her face. "My mother is so useless, she was supposed to pick up this special bra that I'm meant to wear and she didn't."

This was over a bra? "Oh." Her poor mother, raising such a bitch.

"Doesn't matter." She muttered. "Lana is picking it up. At least she's good for something."

And I wanted to slap her again, I really did, her hatred for Lana was really shining through now and I had to wonder what Matt thought about it.

Thank god Lana pulled up and I didn't have to speak to her anymore, so we stood there, watching Lana get out of her car.

She walked over to Courtney smiling and handed her a bag. "There you go."

Courtney snatched it off of her, grunting. "Good, now I can go, see you all tomorrow." And she climbed in her car.

"Thank fuck she's gone." I said to Lana as we walked inside.

"Marty don't be rude." Lana told me and I just looked at her. Was she fucking serious?

"Lana." Matt called, bounding up to her and picking her up. "Where have you been?"

"Put me down." She giggled, play hitting his back. "I went to get something for your fiancé."

"Yeah well." He told her, walking out the back. "I have a surprise for you."

I followed them out, intrigued at what Matt's surprise was and when I walked out I looked around smiling. Everyone was here and Brian had made himself immediately at home, sitting on a chair, drinking a beer.

I watched Matt put Lana back on her feet and he smiled down at her. "I organised for someone to come over and do your nails."

"Oh you didn't have to do that." She said smiling, but I could see she was secretly pleased.

"Yeah I did." He said, leading her over to a table. "Now sit down, she'll be here in a minute."

I smiled. "I might go." I called out. It was time to leave them to do whatever it was they do on a night before a wedding.

"No." Lana said, looking at me. "Come get your nails done." And she glanced at Matt.

"Yeah Marty." Matt said to me. "Stay." And he leant down, kissing the top of Lana's head.

I wondered over and sat down, Matt grabbed us a drink and then the girl who was doing our nails showed up.

It was fun, getting our nails done. The guys, were swimming, drinking, generally being dicks and Lana and I got sit here and talk, and we did talk. She looked so happy, happier than I'd seen her in a long time.

"So are you all ready to be best man?" I asked her, while we sat there, with our hands under the UV light, waiting for our nails to dry.

She laughed. "I am, I guess. I mean it's the first time I'll be best man and probably the last."

"Hmm I don't know." I said. "Brian was kind of thinking."

She shook her head at me. "No Marty."

"No of course not, besides, you're mine, you'll be in my part of the wedding party."

"Good." She said. "Because I'm a little out of my depth with this whole best man thing."

"You'll do fine." I reassured.

"I know I will." She murmured, looking down and admiring her nails.

"Are you done yet?" Matt called from the pool and Lana looked and held her hands up.

"Yes." She called. "How do they look?"

He pulled himself out and walked over to us, dripping, smiling. He took her hands and looked at her nails. "They look perfect." He murmured.

I looked down at my nails, smiling, well kind of smiling, I was a little perplexed, I couldn't see what was so perfect about a set of painted nails, but coming from Matt it sounded sweet and judging by Lana's smiled she found it sweet too.

"Now come in the pool." He said, bending down and picking her up.

"My nails." She screeched and he just laughed.

"Your nails are dry." He said, throwing her in.

I smiled and thanked the girl who did our nails, then I made my way over to Brian, sitting next to him. "Just tell me to go if you want me too."

"Nah." He said, squeezing my hand. "Stay as long as you want."

I smiled. "What are the plans?"

"Eat, drink." He said. "The usual."

"In that case if there's food involved I'll stay." I laughed, watching Matt and Lana in the pool.

"And here I was thinking you were staying because of me." Brian said, feigning hurt.

I laughed shaking my head. "It's nice to see Matt and Lana happy."

"Indeed it is." He said, looking a them. "Whatever was the problem, be it Vegas, or whatever, they seemed to have sorted it out."

I nodded, watching as Matt pulled Lana into his arms and whispered something in her ear. "Yeah they have." She threw back her head and laughed and Matt smiled, widely, genuinely.

We sat there for the afternoon, me with Brian, talking, eating, watching and it was Matt and Lana I was watching. I wasn't sure if I was over thinking but boy, they sure did look happy.

"You know." Brian murmured, leaning over so he could whisper in my ear. "If a stranger walked in off the street and saw all of us, you know what they would think?"

"That you're a handsome rogue." I said, wiggling my eyebrow's at him.

"Besides that Marty." He grinned.

"Then no babe, what would they think?" I asked.

"They'd think that it was Matt and Lana's wedding." And he said it very quietly.

I looked over at Matt and Lana who were currently squeezed onto one sun lounge, whispering and laughing to each other and I realised Brian was right, people would think that.

I groaned. "Is Matt doing the right thing Brian?" I asked softly, because right now, watching him with Lana, I didn't think he was, I thought he was about to make a huge mistake.

"I don't know Marty." Brian said softly, squeezing my hand. "But Matt's a big boy, he knows what he's doing, only this time I wonder........." And his voice trailed off.

I had to wonder too. Was Matt doing the right thing? Was he marrying the right girl?