f i f t e e n

Emily has had only one crush in her entire lifetime. She now looks back at it with major disdain for her younger self. She acknowledges that her time was utterly wasted on someone who didn't deserve it. All she got in the end was unnecessary pain. Which is why she swore to never have romantic feelings for anyone. For the most part, it worked out fine. She didn't have any serious infatuations, just a couple of fleeting feelings here and there.

Emily felt content that her head was clear of distraction and would never get messed up. Not like Walter, who was currently shaking in his shoes.

"Just talk to her."

"It's not that simple."

"It actually is."

Walter groaned. Emily smirked.

"She's over there! Go!" She pushed him in the direction of his crush, Emma Faust, who'd just walked into the library.

Walter glared back at Emily and she just waved and mouthed, 'don't screw up.'

Emma Faust was a nice girl. But she wasn't the one he wanted. She was a lot of things, but still not the girl he really felt for.

Walter gave Emma a shaky grin and she smiled back brightly. She didn't smile. But Emma did. He tried to make himself fall in love with everything about her, but his mind still went back to the only her that mattered to him. He felt a sinking realization in the pit of his stomach because she was gone, in a literal sense.

Emily left the library to give him privacy. But she was planning on teasing him later.

With Walter back on shaky friendship ground, Emily felt lighter. She had someone to rely on, to fall back on, to trust.

It felt good.

She just wondered how long it would last.